Need a work-around to report grades. Please help!

Jump to solution
corderg
Community Novice

Hello. If you are using the Multiple Grading Periods feature, have you found a way to accurately report grades after the first grading period? If so, please tell others how you did it.

It appears that Canvas came up with the feature all of K-12 schools have clamored for - multiple grading periods - but did not come up with a way to report those grades or export them to a report card or other grade reporting software. The grade exports are all done ONLY by term. So if you have a full-year course with 4 quarters, the grade export will only be accurate for the first quarter. After that, it will be a combined average of the first two quarters, then the first three, etc.

I have not come up with a workaround other than to create 4 separate courses for each course. I have called Tech Support and they had no fix. Neither did my CSM. I am trying not to be negative, although it's EXTREMELY frustrating.

If you are also in this boat, we need to put our heads together and come up with a work-around until this flaw is corrected. Also, please vote starting October 7 for this feature -

1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi All,

Only being able to generate a report that shows an average across multiple periods is not intended functionality with multiple grading periods.  We are working on option that will let you export grade information that with discrete totals per period rather than a running average of all periods.  In the mean time you can filter to a specific period in the gradebook to view totals.  We are also working on letting you export only grades for what you have filtered to (ie; only grades for period two).  I do not have a timeline to share but we are actively working to address these issues.

Thank you,

Scott Dennis

View solution in original post