AnsweredAssumed Answered

Student access to SpeedGrader comments for non-graded assignments

Question asked by Linda J. Lee on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 by Chris Long

Is there a way for students to access SpeedGrader comments in a "Not Graded" assignment type? I'll be honest, I didn't know it was possible to access SpeedGrader from a Not Graded assignment.

We had a situation where a TA attached feedback to a Not Graded assignment (for an in-class exam). Grades had been entered into the correct gradebook column of an exported CSV file of the gradebook. (The Canvas site has "Not graded" class preparation assignments for all class meetings, and the feedback was inappropriately attached to the class prep assignment for the exam.) To fix this problem, we changed the assignment type to No Submission/ display grade as points/ 0 point assignment, which created a second Gradebook column and enabled students to see the attached feedback.

I'm wondering if there is an alternate way for students to see the feedback, or a better way to handle this situation. And if there isn't a way for students to view feedback, why does Canvas allow instructor access to SpeedGrader where student access does not exist?

Any ideas?

Linda J. Lee, Instructional Design Project Leader, Wharton Computing

Outcomes