AnsweredAssumed Answered

Quizzes - Negative Points and Individual Answer Values on Incorrect Answers

Question asked by cesbrandt on Nov 24, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 by Constancia Wendt

Before I begin, I want to make it clear that I am aware that instructors can use the SpeedGrader to manually change a 0-point value to a -1-point value. They can also give "extra credit" the same way. I'm also aware that Canvas does not currently support the assigning of values to a specific question. This is regarding automating the process for negative values.

The basic situation is that we run our Entrance Exam via Moodle (we're migrating to Canvas). On Moodle, we are able to apply partial credit for answers. Here is a multiple choice example:

1. What is the correct answer?
    1. This is partially correct
    2. This is incorrect
    3. This is partially correct
    4. A and C
    5. All of the above

Answer "a" is worth .5, "b" is worth -1, "c" is worth .5, "d" is worth 1, and "e" with worth -1.

As I noted above, we're not too concerned about the partial values because we can simply adjust the question type. What we are most concerned about is that our evaluation system for the exam relies upon the assignment of negative values for incorrectly answered questions.

Here's the question: have we missed a setting that would allow for incorrectly answered questions to be automatically counted against the quiz? If so, where is it? If not, is it possible to automate this without having to go into the API and running a script?

Outcomes