AnsweredAssumed Answered

Group Tool in Canvas

Question asked by John Blachley on Nov 30, 2015
Latest reply on Apr 14, 2016 by Gregory Beyrer

This semester I moved from Blackboard to Canvas as a project course for OEI.  In my online class I assign a three week group project in order  to introduce students to a project utilizing group tools such as group discussion, journals, wikis and other web 2.0 tools. I want to introduce students to the fact they will be utilizing these online tools to create projects or assignments in their future careers.   In blackboard I created individual groups, such as Group C, and listed the names of the students under this group.  Each group was automatically give a group journal, wiki assignment page, discussion page and the group assignment was linked to their group.  

To say my initial attempt of using the group tool in canvas was a disaster, is an understatement.  First, canvas does not have a group journal tool and the wiki page has to be created outside the group and inserted into the group. I created the journal  and a separate wiki page and assigned them to each group. This caused the links to be available and then not available.  Many of my students cannot find these links, including the group assignments in the module.    This has left my students frustrated. 

While I am sure some of these issues are due to my lack of experience with "People" in Canvas, I would like any input on ideas on how to improve my group project for next semester.  I would also suggest that Canvas improve their Group tool to include a journal page and group wiki page that is created inside each individual group. 

Please let me know if I am missing an important element in canvas which would take care of my issue or where I can go beyond the Canvas Video or Guide to learn how to create a group project utilizing online tools such as wiki's and journals.  Thanks.

John

Outcomes