AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dropping a Grade - But with Exceptions

Question asked by Karen Edwards on Dec 14, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 by Stefanie Sanders

I have a policy that students can drop their lowest exam grade.  The main reason for this was to avoid makeup tests if they happened to miss one test.  If they were sick, they drop that test.  If they make it through the entire semester without being sick, they drop the lowest grade.

I have found on Canvas how to actually drop the lowest grade.  Here is my issue.  I have some exceptions to the policy.  For example, if a student cheats, then they can't drop the 0 I just gave them.  If a student is out for an excused reason, they can drop that test.  However, if a student just is not prepared and skips the test, they don't get a makeup, and they get a zero that cannot be dropped since it is unexcused.  So, how do I create a multi-layered approach?  Or, can't I?  Do I excuse the assignment for a particular student but then it will drop one of the other lowest test grades if I place the rule to drop the lowest grade.  Is there a way to add a rule not to drop a zero and then give the other students with excused absences a grade of a 1 which the system would drop as the lowest grade?  Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.  Karen

Outcomes