I'm new to Canvas and need clarification about managing (1) personal files and (2) course files.

Jump to solution
linda_rosenkran
Community Explorer

I'm new to Canvas and need clarification about managing (1) personal files and (2) course files.

Is "restrict access" the only way to prevent students from accessing personal files?

How do I create a folder only intended for student use, such as Course Handouts?

I  understand that personal files must be uploaded in the Profile setting.

Thank you for any help.

I can't get a handle on this. I want to create a folder for Course Handouts. I do not want students accessing files not meant to be opened.

I've researched this but can't find the clarification.

Linda

1 Solution
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hey  @linda_rosenkran ​

Is "restrict access" the only way to prevent students from accessing personal files?

- No, students cannot access your personal files unless you provide a link to them somewhere.

What are Files for instructors?

View a video about personal files

How do I create a folder only intended for student use, such as Course Handouts?

- Go to the files section of your course and create the folder there. Only students of that course will have access to that folder.

How do I create a folder in Files as an instructor?

I do not want students accessing files not meant to be opened.

- One measure you can take is to remove 'Files' from course navigation. Now students will only access files you make available by including in a module or linking to. If you want finer control over files and folders use the restrict access options.

How do I restrict files and folders to students in Canvas? 

View solution in original post