Matthew Schmidt

Links in PDF files do not open in preview on mobile

Discussion created by Matthew Schmidt on Jan 1, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 20, 2016 by Jack Lewin

Hi Folks,

Long time Canvas user, first time poster.

I am working on a project that uses a custom url scheme to launch an iOS app from a PDF on iOS.

Stated differently, I am using a link in a PDF to launch an iOS app.

I am using a PDF because Canvas does not allow for custom url schemes (TinyMCE scrubs the URL).

If the PDF is downloaded and opened, links work correctly and launch the app.

If the PDF is used as a module component within the iOS Canvas app, links work correctly and launch the app.

If the PDF is used as a module component and opened from a mobile browser (tested w/ Firefox, Chrome, and Safari), the user is presented with a page that provides a download link and an embedded preview of the PDF. The links do NOT work in the embedded preview of the PDF, regardless of whether it is fullscreen or in-page.

My guess is that this is caused by Box being embedded in an iframe (again, a guess), and that this might be causing the problem.

For some background, I also played around with creating an HTML page with the custom URLs, hosting it on an external server, and embedding it in a Canvas Wiki page using an iframe. That approach worked, but it's an ugly hack that will cause challenges down the road when I pass this project off to someone else.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a workaround?

Many thanks!

Message was edited by: Matthew Schmidt

Outcomes