AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Automatic failure" on rubrics

Question asked by Emily Springfield on Feb 26, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 25, 2018 by Kona Jones

Hi, all -

I'm hoping the collective wisdom can help us out here.  The situation is this: at our Dental school, we grade students on the procedures they perform using rubrics.  For each line of the rubric, the lowest-graded column is for "critical failures," meaning that even if they did everything else perfectly, if the student should fail the entire procedure.  Or, if they get 2 marks in the "almost a failure" column, they should fail the whole thing.

I've tried working the total number of points in the rubric so that that happens automatically through simple math.  However, some of our rubrics have 10 rows, and it's impossible to jigger the points and the failure cutoff level (e.g., anything under 70% is failing) so that you fail with the critical failures but pass with one "almost failure" and the rest "OKs." (I can put the math in here if anyone wants to see it, but it might just be more confusing.)

My question is, what's the best way to handle this in Canvas rubrics? So far as I can tell, rubrics can't have negative points (or at least, anything but -1).  Any other thoughts?  Even ideas for plug-in tools that allow this kind of grading would be welcome!

Thanks,

Emily

Outcomes