AnsweredAssumed Answered

Module requirements, availability date, and the ensuing troubles

Question asked by Varol Kayhan on Mar 14, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2016 by Erin Hallmark

The new changes made to module requirements is really throwing me off. So, here is what is happening: I have an assignment as a module requirement - so that students cannot move onto the next module before completing that assignment. I used to set an availability date for the assignment - which was the same as the due date. This way, assignment would be locked and I wouldn't accept late submissions. Before the latest major release, I would grade the assignment and those who didn't complete it would get a zero - which would automatically unlock the next module. But as I understand, this feature is removed due to being classified as a "bug".

With the new release, things are not going well for me. I give zero to a student who doesn't make a submission, but the next module is still locked. Since the assignment has an availability date - and therefore no longer available - the student gets stuck. They keep emailing me and asking me to unlock the next module. So, I ended up removing the availability date. This opens the door for late submissions - and me having to keep track of who should get credit for their late submission and who shouldn't. But then, even though I grade assignments as zero, late submissions sometimes override my grade and give credit to students - especially if it is an automatically graded survey. I'm very frustrated. I'd like to hear recommendations for the following scenario:

- Make an assignment a requirement (to move onto the next module)

- Assign an availability date to lock submissions for this assignment.

- Make the next module available to students who didn't turn in their work for the required assignment (as I mentioned, this used to happen when I graded their work as zero - but not now).

I'd like to avoid manual tracking/unlocking etc. since I have a large number of students and I simply can't keep track.

Thanks,

VK

Outcomes