AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do you use Canvas for math homework assignments?

Question asked by Avi Naiman on Mar 10, 2016
Latest reply on Apr 12, 2016 by Mick Cunningham

I am trying to find an effective and efficient way to use Canvas to assign and have students submit math homework assignments.  I have been using Canvas' Equation Editor to supply questions and have students submit answers.

Any ideas on other systems to use (through LTI) that would handle math assignments better than Canvas' Equation Editor?

Here are my requirements:

• I get to supply the original questions and equations.
  • The students can edit, copy and add more equations to the assignment before submitting it, without having to retype all of the questions and equations.
  • The students do not have to complete the assignment in one sitting, which would be unreasonable for them to have to do for assignments of any decent length.

Canvas Assignments do not have a Save capability, thereby requiring students to finish their submissions in one sitting, which is not appropriate.

I have been using the Graded Quiz option to assign homework questions, which seems to be working well from the perspectives of creating homework problems and having students work on them and submit their answers.

However, it takes forever to grade these assignments, since Canvas requires me to enter a grade for each and every question.

On paper, I mark each question that does not deserve full credit with a negative score of the number of points deducted.  That way, I don't have to touch any of the  questions answered correctly.  Since most students answer most questions correctly, this minimizes the amount of grading work needed.

Any ideas of how to not have to enter a grade for each and every quiz question?  Since I use these quizzes for weekly homework assignments, having to enter 20 grades for 100 or 150 students each week can get quite tiring!

adTHANXvance,

Avi

Dr. Avi Naiman

Sy Syms School of Business

Yeshiva University

Avi.Naiman@gmail.com

Outcomes