How does your institution handle UDOIT adoption and training?

Jump to solution
tr_jbates
Community Champion

Faculty adoption and training for UDOIT was brought up by  @kmeeusen ​ in the discussion for the UDOIT group proposal.  I think the community could benefit from hearing how other schools are promoting the tool and training faculty and staff on its use.

At UCF, UDOIT is available to all instructors in all courses, but using it is entirely voluntary.  We promote it through our newsletter, on our website, and through our IDL6543 faculty development course.  Some of our instructors have been using the tool without any issues, while others require a little training to get started.  To facilitate this, we hold open workshops before the start of the semester where we walk the instructor through scanning, evaluation, and remediation of their course content.

So, how does your institution handle UDOIT adoption and training?

1 Solution
Community Novice

We will offer, video tutorials, and workshops to start.  I like that ideas that I've read here that include having a pilot group.  I also read input on this site that suggested faculty may not understand or may have a misconception of what accessible materials are.  I am looking at working with our Disabilities Office to have our workshop open with a demonstration of a screen reader. 

This reminds me that so far, the biggest successes when helping people understand about using OER has been to begin by teaching people to share their own work.  Likewise, I believe that if we help people to use and understand a screen reader and that in doing so their desire to use UDOIT will come from within based on their personal experience of using screen reader.

View solution in original post