I've looked through pages and pages of Canvas community discussions, and can't find anyone else with this question/concern, so maybe I'm just missing the mark, but...
We are a new Canvas school and just getting started. I am an instructional designer and Canvas admin, working with instructors to get their courses set up, and two issues related to Groups (People) have come up repeatedly.
- When a student clicks a link to a group Discussion, for example, they are automatically taken to the Groups tab, and the discussion for that group, with no warning of the transition. Basically, it feels like the group is almost completely disconnected from the course. This seems extremely confusing for the following reasons:
- - It's not obvious that you are no longer in "the class," but are instead in a Group.
- - The course menu appears almost identical to the course itself, but the links no longer go to the course. For example, Home now goes to the group Home as opposed to the course Home.
- - It is very difficult to determine how to return to the course content. There is a very subtle link at the top of the group tools menu, but otherwise, the student must use the Courses tab, or Dashboard, to get back to the course itself.
- There appears to be no way to configure the tools provided for a group. If I only want to use the Groups tool for discussions, there is no way to disable or hide other tools, such as Announcements, Pages, Files, or Conferences (all of which may also be present in the menu for the course, too!).
The Groups tool seems fully featured, and well integrated into Canvas, but the above issues are a concern. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.