Mozilla backpack transition to Canvas Badges/Credentials FAQs
This page lists many common questions users have about the Mozilla backpack transition to Canvas Badges/Credentials.
If you have a question that isn't answered through our support pages, please email email@example.com.
What is the Mozilla backpack to Canvas Badges Backpack transition?
Mozilla was looking for a partner to take over maintenance of the backpack and selected Canvas Badges/Credentials to fill that role. Canvas Badges/Credentials was selected for this work because of our alignment with Open Source tools, our reputation for high-quality work and due to Canvas Badges/Credentials' set of features and core-offerings. Mark Surman https://marksurman.commons.ca/, Executive Director of the Mozilla Foundation, summed up the transition in a blog post.
Why do I have to select a Canvas Badges/Credentials location?
- There are currently four Canvas Badges/Credentials locations . These locations are based on data centers, or servers. These servers are where your data is stored and impact the speed of your experience. Canvas Badges/Credentials original server is based in the U.S. If you created an account before June 2018, your account is linked to the U.S. server. In 2018, we added servers for Australia, Canada and the EU. We recommend Canvas Badges/Credentials users select a server closest to their location as it will provide the best experience. If you attempt to sign into a location (server) that's different from the one used during your account creation, you will NOT be recognized and your sign in will fail. Please select Change my Canvas Badges/Credentials location on the Sign In page and choose the location associated with your account creation and try again.
I selected a Canvas Badges/Credentials location and now I can't sign in.
- Your Canvas Badges/Credentials location is linked to your account creation. If you created an account before June 2018, please select Canvas Badges/Credentials U.S. and sign in again. See "Why do I have to select a Canvas Badges/Credentials location?" for more information.
How do I move my badges to a different location?
- If you wish to move your badges and/or data to a different location, you can learn about your options here.
Why are my badges invalid?
- Follow these tips for checking the validity of your badge(s).
- Unfortunately, some issuers are no longer in operation since awarding badges. Contact the original issuer for more information. If you previously had a Mozilla backpack, the good news is that the zip file attachment from Mozilla includes all of your earned badges and can be saved to your device(s). While only valid badges can be added to your Canvas Badges Backpack, you always have access to those saved badges.
I have badges but none of them were uploaded to my backpack. Why?
- Your badges are invalid and cannot be added to your Canvas Badges Backpack. See "Why are my badges invalid?" for more information.
Canvas Badges/Credentials sent a verification email to an email address I don't have access to. What do I do now?
- A badge is associated with (awarded to) an email. This email needs to be verified by you before Canvas Badges/Credentials can add the badge to your backpack. If you can no longer access an email associated with a badge, you have some options. You can save that badge (from the Mozilla zip file) to your device. You can also view that non-verified badge in your backpack. It will be indicated by a "pending" status. If you're eventually able to access that email account, and can verify that email, the badge will appear active. If you prefer not to view the pending badge in your backpack, you can always delete that associated email from your profile.
I didn't get an email notification from Mozilla. What should I do?
- Do you have more than one email address that the zipped file could have been sent to?
- Have you checked your spam folder for the email?
- Unfortunately, we’re sorry to say, there's no way to resend the Mozilla email containing your badges. You may wish to contact the original issuer(s) of the badge(s) that were in your backpack to see if they can provide you with a copy of the badge or re-award it to you.
Need more help? Contact us at support firstname.lastname@example.org@badgr.com