Uploading non-Canvas Badges/Credentials badges to a backpack
Not only can you use Canvas Badges/Credentials to create badges, but you can also collect and organize badges that you've earned from any Open Badges platform. Adding badges to your Backpack is easy – all you need is a Canvas Badges/Credentials account and a badge you've been awarded.
Badges awarded from the Canvas Badges/Credentials platform (through the website, an LMS or Canvas Credentials Pathways) will automatically be uploaded to an individual's Canvas Badges Backpack.
Downloading your Open Badges from an email
Recipients of Open Badges may receive their badge(s) in an email. From there, earners can take the badge into any Open Badges-compatible backpack provider of choice, including Canvas Badges/Credentials.
- Open the email and click the Download button.
- If your badge opens in a web browser, right-click (or "ctrl"+ click) the image and select Save as to save the image to your computer.
- If your badge automatically downloads, check the downloads folder on your computer.
- Be sure to retain the file format when saving your badge. Open Badges only use .PNG or .SVG file types, because these types contain the badge's metadata. Other file types, such as .JPEG or .PDF, cannot be uploaded to a Canvas Badges backpack.
Adding badges to your Canvas Badges backpack
Users may earn badges from a variety of platforms. Canvas Badges/Credentials' interoperable platform lets you store all your Open Badges in one place.
1. In your account, click Backpack to open your badge backpack.
2. Click Add badge.
3. You have several options for uploading the badge award to your backpack.
- Badge image: You can upload your badge directly if you've been sent the badge (via email) or have downloaded it from another service. Use the drag and drop feature or the file picker to select the badge.
- Paste badge URL: URL assertions are "baked" into a badge image so that a badge can be verified by various services (for example, a badge backpack). Sometimes, a badge doesn't have an image associated with it, or is otherwise not downloaded, and can be added to a backpack service by inputting the Assertion URL.
- JSON: When viewing your badge, there may be a View JSON button. You can select it, then select Copy to clipboard. When uploading your badge, select the Advanced tab and paste the badge's JSON into the dialog box for easy upload.
4. When viewing your badge's public page, you can right-click the image to save the image file or URL. A button may be available on the badge page to copy the JSON to your clipboard.
5. Once uploaded, your badge will appear under the Backpack menu. Click the badge to view badge details. If you experience issues when uploading your badges see our Troubleshooting: Invalid badges.
Pushing badges to a (Mozilla) backpack using the IssuerJS file
Several LMSs including Blackboard and D2L/Brightspace award Open Badges. These badges can be stored in a Canvas Badges Backpack if they adhere to current Open Badges specifications. The IssuerJS is a modal pop-up that guides users through the process of adding a badge to a backpack.
Depending on the LMS, you may see buttons that read, Publish badge to Mozilla, Publish to Mozilla or Publish to Canvas Badges Backpack. You may choose any of these options or buttons.
In your LMS, navigate to the badge award.
Find the sharing buttons for the badge. In the above example, these are located on the right side of the badge. Any of these options will produce a means to send your badge to a backpack
Select the Publish button and the IssuerJS file will open a new dialog directing the user through the next steps.
- Select one of the three options:
- Create Canvas Badges/Credentials account.
- Sign into Canvas Badges/Credentials (if you already have an account).
- Download the badge if you want to store it elsewhere.
- If you select option 1 or 2, you will be prompted to select where you want to store your badge.
- Select the server of your choice (or the one nearest you) and sign in or create an account.
- Once signed in, the badge will be added to your backpack.
- If you get an error, you may check the validity of your badge using our BadgeCheck service.