How do I share a course to Commons?
As a Canvas instructor, you can share your Canvas course to Commons and make it available to other instructors.
Resources should be complete before they are shared. To modify an existing shared resource, learn how to update a resource previously shared to Commons.
- To enable Commons in your Canvas instance, please contact your Customer Success Manager.
- Commons is available in all Free for Teacher (FFT) accounts. Free for Teacher users are limited to finding, importing, and sharing public resources.
- Updating a previously shared course in Commons can replace constituent resources within the dependent course, resetting or replacing important settings, course design, and even resources like assignments. Please use caution when updating courses via Commons.
- Depending on the account settings set by your Canvas admin, you may be unable to view and/or share public content. Authors of publicly shared resources will always be able to view their resource.
- The file size limit for uploaded content is 500 MB.
- A course shared through Commons retains its published/unpublished status from when it was originally shared. If you share a published course, when others import that course, it will be published in their account.
- Only course instructors can add a course or course content to Commons.
- Admins can add a course or course content to Commons if they act as an instructor of the course.
In Global Navigation, click the Courses link , then click the name of the course you want to share to Commons .
In Course Navigation, click the Settings link.
Share to Commons
In the sidebar, click the Share to Commons link.
Note: A course shared through Commons retains the published/unpublished status of when it was originally shared. If you share a published course, when others import that course, it will be published.
Choose Sharing Option
Select a sharing option.
Choose Content License
Select your content license from the Copyright and Licenses drop-down menu . To add any additional licensing, copyright, or usage information, click the Add Additional Information link .
Select the appropriate grade level(s) using the sliders or drop-down menus.
Share to Commons
When you're done, click the Share button.