Student wiki assignment—Accessing the creator of a page via API

Jump to solution
ryan_schram
Community Member

I have an assignment for my classes in which students create and edit pages within a Group for the class, like a wiki or knowledgebase. To track their contributions, I am accessing the Group via the API and getting a list of Pages, and for each Page getting a list of the PageRevisions. PageRevisions include the name of the student who made the edit and the date. But the Page object does not seem to include a "created_by" attribute.

So I can track students' edits to existing Pages but if one creates a new Page and adds some initial content to it, I can see that as a change when I query the Group via API request, but I can't see the original author of the page. In other words, I can track when students edit pages but not when they create pages.

(1) Does the initial creation of a page get represented as a PageRevision?

(2) If not, and it appears from the students' work so far that the answer is no, then is there another way to use the API to collect their activity on the shared Pages, including both creation and editing of Pages.

Thanks in advance. 🙂

Labels (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@ryan_schram 

If I create a new wiki page and list revisions, that initial creation has revision_id=1 and lists the page creator under the "edited_by" property.

I tested it under the course wiki page rather than the group wiki page, but it should return similar results.

View solution in original post

0 Likes