Access to the STUDENT VIEW on an iPad or other tablet

I can access STUDENT VIEW on the computer, but not on the iPad App. I need to be able to see Student View on the iPad as my district is 1:1 with iPads.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-26725-canvas-teacher-release-notes-ios-111 .

39 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is now open for voting Wed. October 7, 2015 - Wed. January 6, 2015.

For more information on the voting process check out How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Community Member

Agreed! Teachers would love an option to toggle to the Student View on an iPad within the app to preview what the student experience looks like on the iOS device.

michael_hornbac
Community Member

Thank you for requesting this James. It would make life a lot easier here at my high school if teachers could see student view on iPads. The desktop/browser student view just doesn't translate for teachers. And for many who aren't comfortable with Canvas or just haven't used it very long, this would be invaluable for them in using this with students.

jlg65
Community Participant

I have the same issue using the Canvas App for Android. It would be very helpful to have student view on the mobile apps so we can view the course design from the student perspective and ensure we are providing appropriate instruction.

itadmin
Community Contributor

Another option would be to have an iPad/mobile emulator of sorts running on the desktop browser as a popup window which would mean you could do some rough testing even if you didn't have a device handy

rseilham
Community Champion

Admins can already masquerade on the mobile apps, so opening this to different roles to access their Test Student seems possible.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

I do not use the Canvas App on my mobile devices. I access Canvas via a browser. The app is too limited in its functionality.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This would be a tremendous aid in designing courses for the app.

buellj
Community Contributor

This would be a huge help in testing too.

s_eberhard
Community Novice

I'd like to see the student view works for both the tablet devices as well as the mobile phones.

We have staff wanting to try out doing online quiz in class and at the moment, I need to go borrow some people to be added as students to test things out.

Also that won't work for our teaching staff to try and do these themselves either.

So being able to access student view on the apps (regardless of the device) would be great!