[Analytics] Downloaded student list has separate fields for first and last names from New Analytics

Problem statement:

When I download a student roster per the steps at https://teacherscollege.screenstepslive.com/a/1286286-download-a-student-roster-in-canvas, I get a file that has a "Student Name" field. Because last names are not in their own field, I am incapable of sorting this list the same as it would be sorted in the SpeedGrader, which is sorted by last name. No, I cannot us the space to split the Student Name field into FN and LN. Some of my students have a space in their first name, and some have a space in their last name.

Proposed solution:

The roster export should place first and last names into their own fields.

User role(s):

instructor

4 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Will Not Consider

Hi @arencambre -

I have good news! This is possible when you separate the last name and first name in the Gradebook.

If your local administrator has enabled the option, when you open your Gradebook and click the gear in the right corner (Gradebook Settings), you will see the Split Student Names option under View Options. 

When you export your Gradebook to .csv, the first and last names will be in separate columns.

arencambre
Community Explorer
Author

That did not work. I enabled Split Student Names in gradebook, and I now see Student Last Name and Student First Name columns. When I go back to New Analytics > Reports and hit Run Report by  Class Roster, the CSV that I get (roster 11-13-2023.csv) only has a Student Name field.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

Hi! What happens when you use the export option directly from the gradebook? I understand you'll need to delete any unwanted columns, but it should be an immediate option while this idea for New Analytics progresses through Ideas & Themes.
How do I export grades in the Gradebook? 

arencambre
Community Explorer
Author

That does work, but it is not a great workaround.