[Announcements] Publish and Unpublish Announcements

I love that Canvas can bring over announcements when I copy content from another Canvas course. This keeps me from copying and pasting announcements I make every semester.  To further develop this feature, it would be nice if Announcements were unpublished on import, meaning the instructor can see them but the students can't. With a "publish button on every announcement, instructors could release announcements quickly when they are needed without the tedious setting of a date and time on each announcement.

This feature would also bring announcements in line with other tools in Canvas that use publish and unpublish functionality and would help instructors who might unintentionally be releasing announcements to students from a past semester.

Added to Theme

198 Comments
eandersn
Community Member

This is an excellent suggestion.  I would very much like to see this feature implemented.

rislis
Community Champion

I have teachers asking for this feature. Thanks!

judd_curran
Community Member

When content is imported from another Canvas course that includes announcements, there is no way to unpublish the announcements at the beginning of the semester.  Either the announcements have to be deleted, and then recreated, or the "delayed posting" date must be changed for each and every announcement (a tedious process).  Why not just simply have a publish/unpublish check-box feature for announcements too?  That way, we can use the announcements we want to use when we want to use them, and leave the ones we don't want to use in a given semester unpublished.

canvasuser12345
Community Member

Wonderful suggestion. Highly needed. People have been asking for this feature for years, according to other community posts. Please consider implementing this, Canvas! It would save me hours of copying & pasting for each course.

efalconer
Community Explorer

THIS IS A MUST.  A VERY BIG faculty request at our institution!

pcosta
Community Explorer

I vote YES on this feature for having more control over the release of announcements. It would be great if we could even "unpublish" announcements.

ryantrainor
Community Member

This is obviously a very popular feature -- I will add my voice to those in favor of it!

UCScott
Community Explorer

Our faculty are clamoring for this improvement!

Sara-Newman
Community Explorer

Vote Yes! We need this to help faculty and students!

cpgalt
Community Participant

This is such an old issue, yet as far as I can tell (12/2020) there is still not a PUBLISH button for announcements, nor is there easy control over posting/unposting dates.

And when i import a course (as others have mentioned), I would like to be able to either UNPUBLISH all announcements or set them all to a delay date, say, after the new course is over, so in either case then i could bring in announcements as needed during the semester.