[Assignments] Download a subset of assignment submissions

I have browsed around a bit and am thinking i am missing this so feel free to close this down if it's a duplicate but in working with our large enrollment computer science classes I've noticed that it would be ideal to allow for some kind of partial download of assignments.

If there were a way for an instructor/TA to select a subset of students and download their submissions, that would make the download size, time, and load more manageable. I suspect you 'can' download 200 computer program submissions in one zip file but for larger enrollment courses you might not want to Smiley Happy

- Melanie

Added to Theme

50 Comments
admin_bu_carr
Community Participant

Hello,

To build off of this idea, it would be great if TA's could download the assignment submissions based off "Group Enrollment" as well.  We have very large sections, and with the new implementations of filtering the gradebook by group, and the filtering of the speed grader by group, we have found that downloading assignments by group would benefit our college's use case and allow us to move away from the use of Sections.

Manually created sections while good work around, causes administrative issues when students withdraw from the course at a university level, by allowing the student to still have access to the course until they are manually removed.  

Thanks - Crystal

steven_louie
Community Novice

Downloading by section through grade book was possible with the old grade book, but the new one does not work any more.

Please add this ASAP as managing a course with over 1000 students enrolled is almost impossible. I say almost because it's do-able, but just need to spend the whole day finding the submissions needed.

ixie
Community Novice

Seriously, add this as a feature already please, Canvas! 

raymond_macneil
Community Novice

@kroeninm ‌
Agree: I just searched to see if this feature existed, and sadly, it doesn't. 
There is surprisingly a lot of useful (potential) features along similar lines that the Canvas development team has not implemented, yet would not be very difficult to achieve (at least from a programmatic standpoint). Upvoted for this. 
Cheers,
Ray

Maeve_McCooey
Community Coach
Community Coach

Upvoted - this would be a great functionality and may address some of the gaps in Canvas relating to allocated marking.

jddevlin
Community Explorer

We regularly teach in courses of hundreds of students with multiple teachers sharing a Canvas space and we need to quickly download their own class submissions. We would love to see this feature idea implemented asap.

h_carmichael
Community Participant

I had created an idea (because I missed this one) so it can be archived now but it's very similar, can I just include a requirement for this option to also take into account anonymous assignments.

Download a Range of Anonymous Assignments:

It would be beneficial if users were able to download a specific range of anonymous assignments.

Current Situation:

Assignments submitted by classes with large cohorts of students are split among academics for grading purposes, anonymous grading is used in summative assessments.

Academic 1 will mark "Student 1" - "Student 28"

Academic 2 will mark "Student 29" - "Student 47"

Academic 3 will mark "Student 48" - "Student 68"...... and so on

There are situations where academics may have special circumstances requiring paper copies of submissions printed for marking purposes. These currently need to be opened and printed individually which is a laborious task.

What we would like to do:

Alongside the bulk download option for all assignments an option for downloading a range of assignments when anonymity is turned on:

340703_pastedImage_5.png

The suggestion is for a pop out of sorts when anonymity is enabled as outside this it is straightforward to select individual or many assignments from the bulk download.

Thanks,

Helen

ja505
Community Participant

We would find it helpful to be able to download by section as well. We have a number of large courses with students split across multiple sections. Our assessments are marked offline by a teacher responsible for a single section, so the ability to download per section would be a useful improvement.  

ddavis4
Community Explorer

I would also like to have the ability to download a part of the submissions for an assignment. Sometimes I get early submission and I go ahead and download and grade. Then after the due date has passed I have the rest to grade. It would be handy to only download those who submissions were not yet graded rather than files from the entire class.

barrybrown
Community Participant

TL;DR: Provide a way to download ungraded submissions, rather than all submissions.

I often end up doing grading in batches. After doing a batch, additional students may submit their assignments. Or some students might re-submit after I've assigned a grade. When that happens, I have to toss the first download in the trash and re-download the submissions to get the new ones. Consequently, I have to slog through dozens of files in order to find the ones that need my attention.

I'd like a way to download only the submissions that have not been graded yet, or that need to be re-graded.

If that's not possible (perhaps it would make the UI too complex) here are some alternative ideas:

• Add a tag in the filename to indicate that the file has already been graded. I can do a pattern-match search and toss those files, leaving just the ones that are ungraded. This would be similar to how the "LATE" tag is already added to a filename; there could be an additional "GRADED" tag.
  • In the ZIP file, divide the files into two folders: graded and ungraded. I can ignore the graded ones and focus my attention on the ungraded folder.