[Calendar] Allow for precise times in calendar

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Problem statement:

The calendar currently does not (no longer) allow precise timing when creating a new event: it only takes half hour intervals. Consequently, it is not possible to create an appointment at, for instance, 10.15 a.m. However, this is possible after you click 'more options'. Not all our instructors try again in this screen and are unable to create an event at the exact desired time.

Proposed solution:

Please allow for shorter intervals when creating a new event in the Canvas calendar. This reduces confusion among instructors and saves time.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta,designer,observer

12 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @lien_sas! Thank you for submitting this idea. I'm happy to share the great news that this was already identified as needing adjusted and will be available with our upcoming 9/14/22 deploy. Once the deploy is complete, you will see that when editing a calendar event, the start and end time drop-down menus have been updated to include 5-minute intervals. You can read more about this in our 2022-09-14 deploy notes

lien_sas
Community Explorer

Glad to hear it, thanks for the quick response! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: On Beta
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2022-09-14) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Features by User Role (2022-09-14)

JedKeenan
Community Participant

This is very good but can I check with you @jsailor the reason why Events still show as starting at only half hour intervals:

Event-times.png

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @JedKeenan, thank you for alerting me on this! I was just able to look into this with the engineering team. I've confirmed that it is working as expected now.

JedKeenan
Community Participant

Hello @jsailor,

Good news. I assume it will roll out at some point today rather than now as it still presents as it has always done.

JK

jsailor
Instructure
Instructure

Hi, @JedKeenan, I've just checked your account and it appears to be working now. Thanks again for reaching out so we would know to look into this. Have a great day! 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New