Differentiated Assignments by Individual Assign To Field Functionality

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas  Learn more about voting...

It would be beneficial if the Assign>To field had consistent behavior to the Conversations>Compose New Message>To field with respect to the Student and Course Sections navigation.  In current form, explicitly listing 5 Course Sections and 5 Students without a scroll-bar or other cue is leading to a degraded user experience.

Response from Instructure

July 14

Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-07-18) are out. 

8 Comments
tawnya_means
Community Novice

Agreed. It is strange that I have to start typing the first name of the student, rather than typing any part of the name as I do in other locations. Also, the preview only has a limited number of items... so when I have eight sections in a course, I have to type the full section name or number before it shows up.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This is a known bug and is on schedule to be squashed in the July 18, 2015 Release.

Workaround until then:  You can find any section / user not listed in the first five by beginning to type the name of the section / user. This isn't obvious, though it works well.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Canvas Beta Release Notes (2015-07-06) are out and they include a fix for the limitation of only 5 sections or 5 students without a scroll bar.  We could reopen this feature idea for voting if people feel that they want the field to respond like the Conversations list, however the two selection features are  designed differently because of their different purposes.  Differentiated Assignment selection is intended to be a very specific selection process.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-07-18) are out and they include a fix for the limitation of only 5 sections or 5 students without a scroll bar.  We could reopen this feature idea for voting if people feel that they want the field to respond like the Conversations list, however the two selection features are  designed differently because of their different purposes.  Differentiated Assignment selection is intended to be a very specific selection process.

Find a description at Top Issues: Varied due date dropdown only shows five items for each category

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @jacs  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @tawnya_means  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed