[Direct Share] Remove Dates on Copy To

The Direct Share feature, specifically the "Copy To" feature has been great! I have a couple little requests to tweak it. It doesn't include the ability to remove dates like the "Import Course Content" process does. When teachers create a late policy in the gradebook and they copy over assignments using "Copy To," it automatically applies the late policy if the due date occurred in the past. Or if they are copying from a previous grading period, they cannot edit the due date. Giving the teachers the ability to remove dates during the direct share process would be very helpful.

Something like this might do the trick!

Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 9.11.00 AM.png

Additionally, it would be great if items came over as unpublished by default. But let's not get greedy 🙂

Added to Theme

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

9747d331860073e
Community Explorer

Voting this up!  Yes please!

kosmunds1
Community Member

This would be really helpful and keep the gradebook clean!

audra_agnelly
Community Champion

Up vote! I just ran into this with a teacher today. They've been using 'copy to' to copy assignments from an old course to a current course and students are receiving 0's right away because of the missing policy in the gradebook. Since Canvas now auto-removes the missing flag when a grade is entered (even a 0), we've encouraged teachers to use a missing policy to set work as missing. So our work around just causes problems in a different work flow.

llomax
Community Participant

I would like to take this idea one step further. When using the copy to or the importing feature all items should default to having the due date REMOVED. The option to keep due dates should be the selection made if necessary. The check mark box to remove due dates is 95% of the time overlooked by teachers and this causes more problems than I can count. Teachers import items continuously from past courses, and when the gradebook settings in their current courses are set to apply the 0 to missing assignments, this causes havoc in their gradebooks that is not easily fixed. (short of deleting everything, duplicating assignments or manually removing the 0's one by one! Please, Please, Please make the default be to remove all due dates when importing or copying to. (Any assignments that come in without due dates are easily fixed with this option and 99.9% of the time teachers are changing these due dates anyways).

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme