[Discussions] Bring back push notifications for discussion boards.

I'm not sure why push notifications for discussion boards were disabled, but please reenable them.  I'm a student and they were a great way to get notified when there was a new post, or response.

43 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

soldiersmitty
Community Member

In the past, my students and I have received push notifications when someone in the class posts to a discussion we are on. This is crucial in keeping the discussion active. Can this option be reinstated? Without it, our discussions will fizzle out as soon as they start!

Thank you.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Initial Stage: We're reviewing the new conversation

Jeff_S
Community Novice

Push Notifications were incredibly helpful in keeping up with new discussion posts and replies.  Especially since for some discussions, posts and replies come in waves and have short turn around requirements for the associated class.

niallCIT20
Community Explorer

Push notifications are very useful for discussion posts to ensure students stay engaged with course discussions. Please can these be reinstated and allow individuals to make the choice on opting out if they wish.

carlo_ottaviani
Community Novice

Push notifications were definitely the most appealing feature of the mobile App and of Canvas in general. It is crucial for a clean and quick interaction with students.
Please bring it back.

screviston
Community Member
So classes just started and I have an open discussion board for my students to ask questions, it is my central go-to place. I can easily get dozens of posts (40-80 posts typically) in one online course of students both collaborating and/or solving issues, asking questions, and such.  I am subscribed to this board so I get instant notifications pushed to my phone and likewise students can get notifications as well.
However I am not getting notifications. If I select discussions I'll see x number of post that are not read, some posted hours ago or the previous day. I checked my global settings (see attached) and for discussions Canvas now says that push notifications are not supported, I also check the course notification settings and same thing! Why is this off or not allowed, why would this no longer be supported? Push notifications for discussion boards is such an important piece to students actually using the discussion board.

If I recall correctly, if a student thought they had too many notifications then could they individually not just turn theirs off instead of wiping out this feature for everyone. Please keep these push notifications!
kchilds1
Community Explorer

Please reenable push notifications for discussion posts! I have many Q&A discussion boards and I am not seeing student questions right away. By the time I get a daily summary, it can be too late to respond to a question. 

These notifications are very important. If someone doesn't want them, they can turn them off. At least allow us that want them, the ability to turn them on. 

croblesbahm
Community Member

I really depend on push notifications for discussion board posts, please bring them back!

Similar to @kchilds1 and @screviston I use these for Q&A in my courses since my email is overwhelming at times (lots and lots of administrative fun)

My students are used to asking questions on here and honestly, they prefer it since it is quick and easy, they almost view it as sending a text message 

Please bring them back!!!!!!