[Discussions] Multiple Due Dates (checkpoints) for Discussions

Idea is currently in development

With the way that many schools set up forum discussions and require "check-ins" to the forum throughout the week, it would be great if we could include multiple due dates in the discussion activities. For instance, I have classes that require everyone respond to the prompt by Thursday night and respond to at least 2 peers by the following Sunday. Being able to remind students that they have responses due, especially if we could scatter responses over multiple days, would likely increase participation.
445 Comments
trobb
Community Explorer

This thread has lived for 7 years now.  I would hope this is at least on Canvas' roadmap.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

graycastro
Community Member
Problem statement:

Add multiple due dates for all discussion boards and assignments.

Proposed solution:

I often create a two-week of a discussion board with two due dates in the instructions. On the first week/due date, the student must submit their post regarding the readings, then on the second week/due date, students must reply to two peers. I wanted to give students time to post and later read the posts to reply. I do not want to have two separate discussion boards with two due dates. Oftentimes, students focus only on the actual due date that has been set up on the homepage (To-do list) or in the calendar. I would like this idea to have multiple due dates for a single discussion board or assignment. This will help to let the student know they have two or more due dates for one discussion board/assignment. It makes it easier to do one overall grade rather than a separate one.

User role(s):

instructor

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: In Development
  Comments from Instructure

For more information, please refer to the Product Roadmap and the Product Blogs. Updates about availability will be included in the Canvas Release Notes.