Do not auto-adjust height in New Rich Content Editor

Following the issue discussed here:https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15868-static-toolbar-for-new-rich-content-editor?sr=search&sea... that happens when the height auto-adjusts to match the height of the content, I would rather say that this adjustement is an issue itself. It takes the view all the way to the top page when performing any editing action (write, copy, delete, etc., when using the toolbar or the keyboard shortcut) and makes you lose the spot you were editing, increasing the time you need to scroll down and get back to it.

My team have been receiving a lot of complaints about this behaviour, and we are forced to go back to the old editor for now.

Please take a look at this! Thank you!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-09).

11 Comments
snugent
Community Champion

The auto expansion of the editor is very disorientating. I want the editor scroll bar back!

James
Community Champion

I would rather say that this adjustement is an issue itself.

I thought this was the issue rather than the toolbar remaining static and that Canvas was fixing the wrong thing. If the size of the window didn't adjust and you could still scroll just the editor, there wouldn't be a need to keep the toolbar at the top, it would remain there on its own.

Okay, it's still one of the issues -- there are a multitude of issues with the new RCE.

debra_russell
Community Novice

Susan I totally agree with you on this. I am glad they are really looking at this new editor and taking on board comments from users. In my experience the new editor in it's original form only made editing more time consuming and difficult.

kdickso
Community Participant

Nailed it. So many issues, but the auto-adjusting window kind of obviates the advantage of the static toolbar.

It seems that we needed to be even more specific about the issue, because it felt obvious that the two went hand-in-hand.

Insert the old line about ass-u-me here.

hancockk
Community Explorer

I would really like an option to extend the text box to it's full extent before I start to edit. In response to the initial comment above, if I enter any character when I first open the box, it auto-resizes to the full extent and I can then go down and edit without additional problems.  I like having the full-extent because many of my pages are quite long and, in the old editor, resulted in having to scroll both the page and the text editor or manually trying to extend the text box to the full extent.

In the new editor, I do strongly dislike the fact that when I scroll down to where I want to make changes first, the view automatically relocates to the beginning of the box.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: On Beta

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

The content window no longer automatically resizes based on the contents of the editor. Previously, when a user edited content in the New Rich Content Editor, occasionally the editor would resize itself based on the content in the editor. Editing content would move focus to the top of the page. Canvas code has been updated to remove automatic resizing for content.

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-09-09)

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Completed

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks to everyone who participated in this conversation. Your contributions helped refine a feature that is now part of Canvas!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New