Duplicate Quizzes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

We should be able to create a copy of an existing quiz in Canvas with the click of a button.

Comments from Instructure

This idea was completed with general availability of Quizzes.Next.  You can find more information about the overall project in the Quizzes.Next User Group.‌

• Quizzes.Next is now available for all paid accounts.
  • Quizzes.Next documentation will live in the Quizzes.Next User Group until July 14, 2018. On July 14, 2018, all of the documentation will be moved to the Canvas Guides in the Canvas Instructor Guide or Canvas Student Guide
  • Quizzes.Next updates will be included in the Canvas Release Notes. This includes new features, updated features, and relevant fixed bugs. New and updated features will be deployed to Quizzes.Next near the same time as the Canvas release. Fixed bugs may be deployed at any time.
40 Comments
sgraff
Community Novice

There is a workaround....it's not one click but it works. From settings on the left hand navigation bar, choose "Import content into a course". You can pick the current iteration for the course you are in from your drop down menu. Canvas will give you a warning but you can bypass it. Once you click your current course, choose "select content". Drill down until you see the quiz/assignment/files etc. you'd like to import. It duplicates the material for you and is a clean copy of what you already have in the course. Hope this helps!

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

There was what I thought was a helpful post about this hack over in Instructional Designers​ recently.  If you use this work around to create a copy of a content item an then try to create a second (third) copy, Canvas will recognize the duplicate and overwrite the first copy.  But, if you rename the copy before trying to make the next copy, Canvas will let you add the third version of that content item.

dwillmore
Community Champion

I think you may want to close this specific item and throw all votes to this item:

kona
Community Champion

We literally just had this problem yesterday!

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

I agree that this needs to be merged with the Copy everything in Canvas feature request.

scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

It is possible that duplicating quizzes one at a time is a more finite and therefore maybe more realistic goal, than making changes to Canvas functionality across the board - just MHO.

mlattke
Instructure
Instructure

That makes sense.  This whole 30 votes thing has me wanting to consolidate things to garner votes.  It's a whole new feature request world!  But today it looks like the other one has a gazillion votes, so that should cover this one as well.  Win!

e01166
Community Novice

This feature can be very valuable when building a course. This can be similar to creating a quiz template (I think I saw that in another idea), but isn't quite the same. I find the key timesaver is being able to have "standard" set of instructions for quizzes, for instance how to show your work in a math class. Also, needing to set the basic quiz settings every time I create a quiz adds another possibility for me to make errors.

Also, reading through the comments for this (and many other feature requests) I see many workarounds. I appreciate people pointing out these workarounds, but I hope the presence of a workaround doesn't lower the importance of the feature request. One of the main reasons my district adopted Canvas was because of the ease of use. I may be able to make do with workarounds, and my full-time online teachers might find workarounds useful. However, when I work with a group of classroom teachers, workarounds are a non-starter.

rkayen
Community Novice

So, will this change be adopted? 

jthoms
Community Novice

Assignment.png

Helping the Canvas Community team with a little clean up here, bringing over suggestions from ​.

My suggestion there was:

Currently copying requires creating a new assignment or quiz, and copying content for each item. By adding a “copy” option to the options gear, the effort to build a course will be greatly reduced. If this triggered a dialogue to state how many copies to make, it would be very simple to quickly build out a course structure.

I also don't want to lose a common use case in a comment by bbroniak​:

We also have gotten requests for being able to copy/duplicate a quiz.  A use case here is when setting up a quiz for someone that needs an accommodation...and only making minor tweaks to the quiz and/or settings for the quiz.  It's different enough that you need a separate copy, but close enough that recreating the entire quiz is too much effort.  Unless there is a better way to handle this situation?