Enrolling unconfirmed email addresses manually to courses.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This is very important to our institution.  When we hire a new faculty member we manually create their user account in Canvas and then immediately manually add them to a couple of training courses we use.  These faculty usually do not get access to their university email for a few days or weeks so they are unable to confirm their email address with the link Canvas sends them when their account is created.  They need access to these courses prior to obtaining their email access.

We also need to do this all at one time so we do not have to rely on the new faculty to remind us to add them to those courses once they have confirmed their email address.  Right now our CSM has flagged our instance so we can continue as we have prior to this June deployment.  Our CSM stated this is only temporary and there will come a day in the future we will be forced to have those email addresses confirmed.  We NEED to keep this ability to add unconfirmed email addresses to our training courses manually as new faculty are hired.

15 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@Skot 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Have you looked at  More ways to notify users to confirm their email a...   to see if the process requested there addresses this use case? Ideally, we'd like to keep conversations directed at the same functionality unified, so please let us know if we can merge yours into that one.

Skot
Community Participant

Thanks but no, that's not the same issue.  Our issue is needing to enroll unconfirmed accounts in courses manually right after account creation.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks for the quick reply, @Skot ! We've moved this forward for broader discussion.

Skot
Community Participant

Thanks Stefanie!

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Since the change to email addresses needing to be confirmed before being able to enroll users manually into a course by email, this has been bothersome for us. I have been able to work around it using their user ID, but I am constantly getting questions as to why we can no longer enroll certain people into courses. I do not like this change and hope it can be removed.

mikey_m
Community Member

At the end of the day if an admin creates a user, the data in our systems is right or wrong. 

There is no need for a user to verify their e-mail.

We can't add users to courses via e-mail as no one has verified accounts in Canvas and since the platform does not require or prompt users to verify e-mail. There is no need to prevent users from being added to courses with only verified e-mail addresses.

mikey_m
Community Member

Glad another person noticed the difficulty in logic on this one, my suggestion has been rolled in. As Timothy mentioned above, the headache that's now been caused is enormous.

Admins are admins no matter the GUI or API 

Sandie
Community Participant

Can you not create an account with their personal email address? Once their university account is created in Canvas then just merge the two accounts (if another one is created by the system). Or add/change their email address (depends on when they will get their uni email address) just need to change default to the university address after verify or delete their personal one if they want.

How do I change my default email address in my use... - Instructure Community (canvaslms.com)

Hope this works.