[External Tools] Google Classroom: Student Work View integration

In Google Classroom I can  switch over to the Student Work view and can see their work "in progress."  I see a thumbnail sketch of every students' assignment and can quickly see who is not very far.  I can directly open the document from this view to write comments directly on the Google doc.  This creates a very immediate, organic interchange between teacher and student.  

It would be great to have this same feature in Canvas for those assignments that are works-in-progress so I can monitor them while they're working and provide immediate feedback prior to them submitting their paper. 

Added to Theme

18 Comments
rislis
Community Champion

I have a teacher who wants this feature, but I suggested that the student just submit and resubmit the assignment over the course of time that the assignment is open. Is that a suggestion that works? I'm still playing the Canvas vs. Google Classroom Rookie card here!

cunninghama
Community Participant

No.  I don't think Canvas can do anything like this feature that Classroom can do.  Currently, she can view a thumbnail of all of her students as they work on their assignment.  Here's a screenshot of what she wants.  Black boxes indicate student names.  Notice she can quickly see how many students are done and she can also click on a student's work and watch them type in real time.

251615_GC Student Essays--see progress.PNG

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@cunninghama ‌

There are a few places my brain goes with this idea, I'm not sure which one you would see as ideal.

1. We could modify this idea a little to move it through as an integration potential.  Google Drive is integrated and available for students to use as their point of submission, but it doesn't do the live doc like you are talking abou.
  2. The second place my brain goes is collaborations.  Has the instructor experimented using collaborations as a way to setup and track the assignments in progress before they are submitted?
rislis
Community Champion

Agreed, Abby!  This is what she wants. 

I did "convince" her to try this:

Ask the students to submit the assignment multiple times throughout the editing process. She will have to look at the time of submission in Speedgrader to view. This isn't the idea situation for her - and she's teetering on the return to Google Classroom for this reason. I appreciate Renee Carney's comment below. I did show her collaborations as well, but we didn't think that fit for the parameters of the assignment. I haven't done a lot of explorations with Collaborations and even have a question into the Community about it. Looks more like a student work space than what she needs.

Thanks!

rislis
Community Champion

Pushing it to integration would be a great idea! I'm fairly new to the idea of submitting something like that. What is the best way to reach a large number of people who will vote in favor of moving this to product radar?

cunninghama
Community Participant

We talked about collaborations but I don't think it works as well just yet.  Also, you can't push a worksheet or premade document out to students through collaborations just yet so there's that limitation as well.

rachael_behrens
Community Novice

This is a huge limitation for English (or any content) teachers who have been used to this feature in Google Classroom. The ability to quickly monitor and jump into a student's Google Doc was extremely helpful. Right now, there isn't any way for the teacher to access a Google Doc that has been pushed to students without having them submit it. Many teachers at my school are reverting back to Google Classroom for this feature alone.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Great.  I'll open it back up for voting.  I have updated the category so that our partnership team will see it in their feed!

rachel_affleck
Community Novice

Not having this feature in Canvas is a dealbreaker for me. It's a way to check in with students in process without having to force every student to be on the exact same timeline. Submitting and resubmitting work multiple times is not a workaround - it would require students to submit multiple times a day to have the same value as Google Classroom. 

daniel_clark1
Community Member

I'm adding a comment to an old complaint, but after years of google classroom usage, this is a no brainer.  Why can't they update this?  As a college student, I can see that the limited use for a feature such as this.  As a middle school teacher social studies teacher though?  I use this feature EVERY DAY.