[Inbox] Add rich-content editor to Conversations

As a user, I would like to be able to use the rich-content editor to compose messages in the Conversations inbox. This would enable me to create Conversations that are on par, formatting- and content-wise, with Announcements. (Students seem to read Conversations messages more diligently than Announcements.)

transferred from the old Community

Originally posted by: Mia Nolan

Special thanks for contributions by: Stefanie Sanders

230 Comments
dbrace
Community Contributor

My guess about this (without any insider information) is that since Canvas/Instructure is in the process of releasing an updated interface for the Canvas Inbox (currently delayed) which aligns with its current UI (without any change in functionality) that Canvas/Instructure is hopefully planning to add the ability to use its Rich Content Editor or at least some sort of formatting toolbar.

While frustrating that this feature idea has been around for so long, I am looking forward to any changes that are coming.

lien_sas
Community Explorer

I -and many of our instructors- would be SO happy to have the Rich Content Editor in Inbox. In our experience it is a flaw lacking in the current design. 

We understand Canvas' arguments about keeping things simple, but the RCE is broadly used throughout (and outside) Canvas, so people are used to working with it. In other words, I don't see how this would generate confusion. 

Secondly, the argument that Inbox is mostly used for short messaging alongside email is not the case for a lot of users. Our institution's policy (as in others, I've learned in Canvas User Groups) is that Inbox and only Inbox is used for one-on-one communication with students. We wish to avoid students having to use and follow up on communication through various channels. And as was already pointed out, students tend to pay more attention to Inbox messages than to Announcements. Yes, I use announcements for communication with the entire class group, but I would like to highlight words in bold type and at least add a weblink (or copy-paste text without losing the lay-out and embedded links), for instance to inform someone who was absent. 

Please make this happen, we'd be ever so grateful 🙂 

Rudy558
Community Member

Yes please!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

JulianeCaruso
Community Member
Problem statement:

I want a way to add basic formatting to the text in an Inbox message such as bold, italics, or underline so that information can be emphasized as needed.

Proposed solution:

Add basic content editing/formatting to Inbox options. Many students (teenagers) need better visual stimuli to process what they are reading.

User role(s):

instructor

jodilepla
Community Member
Problem statement:

Instead of pasting in a full url, it would be awesome to be able to add a link with the text of what the link is using short cut keys or a link button...anything that is in the RCE would be helpful to have in the email/inbox Thank you, Jodi

Proposed solution:

have the email/inbox be the same as RCE. It is best practice to use text hyperlinks for screenreaders/accessibility and overall appearance.

User role(s):

admin,instructor

jenn4
Community Member
Problem statement:

When emailing students, I often need to include links and course information (like a specific assignment or page). It would be great to have access to the RCE in the inbox to format the communications with students more like regular email than the current system, which is effectively just texting.

Proposed solution:

Add RCE to the Canvas Inbox.

User role(s):

instructor

VHDL2STA
Community Member
Problem statement:

Today I received an email titled "KristinL merged a idea Rich Content Editor in the Inbox from board Canvas Ideas into topic [Inbox] Add rich-content editor to Conversations in board Canvas Ideas" This Canvas major deficiency has been pointed out by many Canvas users for over 10 years. Canvas needs to do more than just keep on merging problems that keep on repeating every time a new Canvas user comes on board and wants to write an email in a 2024 email environment and not in a 1970 text-only email environment.

Proposed solution:

This problem is for Canvas to solve. The "why" is simple. Anyone who uses email develops an expectation for what a modern email MUST be able to do. Currently, the Canvas text-only email capability is very sad and very frustrating for those who voted in their educational institution to switch to Canvas.

User role(s):

instructor