[Modules] Add Images to Modules.

It would be awesome if instructors could add images to modules - specifically to add an image in the very first module in their list of modules. This way an instructor could create a Title Page to their course at the top of the modules page and keep the 'roadmap' of the modules underneath this image as their Home Page within their course. This would help to make it much clearer to students as to what course they are in at any particular time. In reality, this would mesh the concept of a Home Page (as a Page in Canvas) with the structure of the Modules for students to be able to follow the content of a course. Something along the lines of this:

195235_NewModuleTitle.pngNewModuleTitle.png

It would simply make for a better way to title a course.

38 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

ks017, I was able to find this now-archived feature idea that sounds like it would encompass what you've requested:    Unfortunately, the idea did not gain enough traction to amass a vote total that would move it forward to the next stage. Since archived ideas that haven't received a response from the product team can generally be resubmitted, and as long as someone else doesn't find a similar idea that's currently open, I would expect yours to be moved forward for consideration in the next voting cycle. I've bookmarked it, because I would welcome this feature; if it were implemented, it would make me reconsider how I typically set my course navigation and design my home page.

ks017
Community Novice

Thank you Stefanie!

BethCrook
Community Contributor

I would vote for this!

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

What we do is we set up a template to use as a course master. It's generally standardized across the programs. The home page is set up in a hidden table format and we have a placeholder set of images that a professor could interchange.  There are instructions in the html code on how to do that - written as <!--html notes> within the code - though ideally the instructor will work with an ID to carry it out. We like to ensure that the code stays in tact and that the images comply with commons standards.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. August 3, 2016 - Wed. November 2, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works! Smiley Wink

jbrady2
Community Champion

snufer Could you possible share a screen capture of a course using the template you are talking about?  I was attempting to wrap my head around what you wrote, but I am not certain I was really understanding it.  Also, if you are using a hidden table, have you run into any issues with screen readers, and, if not, how did you avoid this, or, if so, how do you correct for it?

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I pulled a few screen grabs.  Some instructional designers deviate from the master template.  Essentially, since our IDs are not necessarily programmers, the table format helps them to neatly organize the standardized homepage content into boxes.  It is not the best approach from a web design perspective, but it works.  This is what the edit view might look like:

2016-10-26_10-19-39.png

It is currently being redesigned for aesthetics (i.e. making the help content less pronounced).  This is what the back end would look like:

2016-10-26_10-21-43.png

It looks like I didn't get a shot of the <!--html commenting-->, but you can see in that first image that within the RTE there is placeholder text for an image, including how wide an image should be to fit within that table column. 

The ID template is a guide.  Some IDs choose a more LMS traditional route:

2016-10-26_10-20-26.png

My personal opinion is that the table format should be eschewed, but there is a lot of value in terms of standardization of the format and making it accessible to the IDs - who are not necessarily web designers.  At the end of the day, the tables make it easier for us to review our QM rubrics since everything has a place on the page.  I don't know how it looks with screenreaders, but I can't imagine it being difficult for the screenreader to render since the information is compartmentalized into table cells. 

DrNufer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Almost there....

shauna_vorkink
Community Contributor

ks017​  -- I wanted to jump in and check on the progress of this idea!  You are so close... it might not hurt to reach out to those who voted and commented on the original idea that Stefanie shared above and let them know the idea was resubmitted under a new feature request Smiley Happy  

robert_wakelyn
Community Novice

I think it could be something similar to how the function of the ePortfolios work.  Where you can add different elements to the same layout.