[Modules] Add Images to Modules.

It would be awesome if instructors could add images to modules - specifically to add an image in the very first module in their list of modules. This way an instructor could create a Title Page to their course at the top of the modules page and keep the 'roadmap' of the modules underneath this image as their Home Page within their course. This would help to make it much clearer to students as to what course they are in at any particular time. In reality, this would mesh the concept of a Home Page (as a Page in Canvas) with the structure of the Modules for students to be able to follow the content of a course. Something along the lines of this:

195235_NewModuleTitle.pngNewModuleTitle.png

It would simply make for a better way to title a course.

38 Comments
rlau
Community Explorer

The ability to easily add images on all the pages would be awesome.  Also, many teachers don't know html so making modification should be easier please.

jennifer_mattes
Community Novice

I agree! Even a thumbnail sized picture would be nice.

cward
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Although I see where you guys are coming from with this, we don't have the capacity in the next 6-12 months to do anything about it, so we'll be archiving this idea.

gharbor
Community Participant
  1. Since moving from Moodle (Grid View) this is a serious deficiency with Canvas. The simplest way to do this would be to be able to include a simple graphic in each module title.. Eg Module Name , Module Image (Optional)
  2. I really get frustrated with how a good idea like this which received enough votes gets "archived". I totally understand that currently there is not the capacity to develop this, but can this idea then be left "open" or on a list of "to-dos" rather than going all the way back to archived which means it will have be re-posted and re-voted for!???

Below is how Moodle Gridview for Modules looks:

Moodle Gridview.PNG

gharbor
Community Participant

I've mocked up an example of how this would look from a UI perspective...

ModulesRedesigned.PNG

I would imagine this would be a option in the Module settings:

ModuleSettings.PNG

This could negate the need for a "Home Page" with a table of images which causes many teachers a lot of frustration. Having a Course Setting to automatically collapse the Modules would fit nicely with this concept.

tlinehan
Community Novice

Yep, this is badly needed. Image capability in module titles, please!

wjames
Community Contributor

This sub-feature request is to add a thumbnail image to the module header.
Constructive visual rhetoric is a much needed addition to the powerful foundation of modules.

248783_Module-Image 1.jpg

Edit Module Settings could have Image Source dialogue box modeled after RCE.
Image could be any type (.jpg, .png, .gif), but maybe limited in size? (50x50 px)

248784_Module-Image 2.jpg

Hope this idea gains traction...submitting for a friend. Smiley Wink

tom_gibson
Community Explorer

My take on this is a little different so not sure if it is a different request - I'd love the ability to add text to the top of the Modules Page in addition to a thumbnail that seems to be the original intent here.

Now that Modules is the default home page for a course, this would be such an easy way for instructors to add instructions or a greeting for a course without having to create a separate page and subsequent navigation to Modules.

Could be option - "Include Modules Title?" or something like that, gives you the RCE, and a new DIV happens on the Modules page. Maybe the result is something like this below?

Text on Modules page

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

cholling
Community Champion

I'm going to to the devil's advocate here. I don't think adding images to the modules is a good idea.  When we use images in a title, it allows us to get a bit sloppy with the title text itself. We don't have to be quite as descriptive and precise as we tend to rely on the image to convey meaning. When we allow an image to convey meaning, it requires that instructors spend that much additional time to add quality descriptive text so that screen readers can explain what the image is, why it is there, and what it's meaning is. Unfortunately, many faculty (at least those I work with) don't understand the necessity of alt text much less how to develop quality alt text. On the flip side, if an image in a module title is simply decorative, why waste time putting it there? Add it to the top of the module page seems to be easier and have fewer possible adverse reactions.