[Modules] Customizable Checklists to Add to Modules

This is a feature that I was expecting to find in Canvas because I have used it in D2L Brightspace. A checklist is something that is added to a module and created by the instructor. Here's an article about it in D2L and here's a video tutorial

Functionality

The checklist would be interactive in that students could "check" the boxes of tasks that they've completed as they work through a module or project or course. Those selections are kept so when students return to that page minutes or weeks later, they can still see which items were checked and which weren't.

For example, I often would create weekly checklists that included a list of the assigned readings/videos as well as the assessments/activities for the week. They could come to the checklist as often as they wish to keep track in a quick summary view of what they had and hadn't done so far that week.

The data in terms of what was checked/unchecked was never integrated with the grading system. Checklists were strictly to help students stay organized. 

Rationale

The biggest reason for adding this feature is that it's helpful for students. It is also aligned with Universal Design for Learning in that it supports differences in executive functioning, project management skills, etc. It is especially beneficial for students with learning disabilities and/or processing disorders. For students who don't need or want this feature, it doesn't add any extra work or responsibility since it isn't graded in any way. A benefit to many and a harm to none.

47 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Yes, it is because I had it in moderation status while the conversation was developing.  I'll open it back up for vote.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@richard-jerz  

I would encourage you to have your students explore the list view dashboard more through this next quarter/semester and see what they find there that helps them out.  They do not need to add every item.  Many activities are added for them.   

In regards to the screenshot you shared, there is one feature that comes to mind.

An instructor can utilize  requirements in a module to require a student to move through a module in sequential order.  There is an element to requirements where a student can mark pages as done or not done.  How do I mark a module item as done for a module requirement? 

sringsmuth
Community Participant

I appreciate the input Renee, but the Checklist feature in Brightspace was very basic yet highly effective and currently these and other solutions in Canvas don't really offer the same features. It's really just a list of items that the instructor creates, along with optional descriptions for each item, that students can mark as completed. It's not the same as using Prerequisites and Requirements, and it's not intended to be automated at all. It's just a really basic but highly effective tool for helping students stay on track with their tasks.

I have an example below of the Checklist I use in my Preparing Online Instructors class for faculty. Many people have told me that this one single feature is their most-used tool, and hopefully something like this can be implemented in Canvas.

Brightspace Checklist Example

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

Renee, thanks for your comments.  I have looked at both the dashboard and at the requirements features of Canvas.  Neither of these produces the results that Shane's feature request is about.  The requirements feature is really poorly designed, and inconsistent in its behaviors.  Have you looked at Brightspace (D2L) and Moodle to see how they nicely provide activity completion checkboxes?  If not, someone in Canvas should.  This is the kind of feature that we are seeking - the ability for students to check off what they have done.  Simple, and effective.  Sorry, but Canvas is way behind as it lacks this feature.

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

You are right on, Simon.

It was several years ago that I took a MOOC course that used Moodle, and there was this exact feature of being able to check off items.  In a MOOC, where there were days before I was able to get back in, this check off feature was invaluable for knowing where I had left off.  Then, I discovered this in D2L, and made sure it was always turned on in my courses.  Moodle can put a little checkbox to the right of every activity, equivalent to the checkbox that you have shown to the left.

I have tried to make this point to Renee in my reply to her.  What Renee suggests is not what we seek.  The "requirements" feature provides minimal control to the student with only some activities.  The To Do list in the Dashboard... well, students might as well use a Word file or whatever other To Do list they are currently using.

degensp28
Community Participant

It is really disappointing that an idea listed as trending in the monthly email was already closed for vote.  It is further disappointing that people routed to that idea from the email were told to resubmit because reopening is not an option.  Further still, after following directions and reposting the idea as a new one, the idea was closed off from voting until the momentum from that trending email has died down.

This whole process is quite disheartening.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I notice that a very similar idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8834-task-check-off-in-modules , is currently open for voting. From the description: 

I have had several students request that they have the ability to "check off" and "flag" certain items within a modules. They would like to be able to "check off" when something is completed and flag things to come back to.

If that idea were to be prioritized and implemented,  @degensp28 , would it essentially accomplish what you're hoping to see? I ask because we strive to keep vote totals and comment threads unified in one spot, and if that idea encompasses what you've requested, we'd want to archive this one to prevent vote dilution.

Thanks!

richard-jerz
Community Contributor

Shane, I agree with you.  It is worse than you described. I will add a few more.

It is disappointing that ALL of the feature requests in the Canvas Community newsletter dated 12/27/2018 were already in "Cold Storage."  As I understand this process, the movement of archived feature requests into Cold Storage occurs after an archived feature request is in "archive mode" for a number of months.  Cold Storage is like "double archived."  Cold Storage items are harder to find.

It is disappointing that votes that were cast on the exact same issue posted before are not moved to this re-post of the original feature request.

It is disappointing that this feature request has only six months to gain enough votes to remain an open feature request, before it gets canned (archived.) I give this feature request less than a 1% probability of remaining active.  We are just going through the motions.

I do recall that there is a feature request to change this process because I provided my ideas to it, but you (Shane) will have to let me know if you can find it anywhere, and if you can vote on it.

degensp28
Community Participant

Thank you for linking to this other idea.  I have also upvoted that idea, and hope that both are eventually implemented.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thanks,  @degensp28 ‌.