[New Quizzes] Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

When a teacher assigns multiple attempts for an assignment it would be nice if the system would automatically perform one of the following during the student's next attempt:

1. Populate the correct answers from the previous attempt. 

2. Show only the incorrect problems from the previous attempt.

Added to Theme

157 Comments
thompsli
Community Champion

This would be very helpful to me as well. My textbook publisher's idea of a "finals review" activity is a gigantic multiple-choice test over all of the math from the semester, with questions from each and every lesson all term. It may or may not be valuable for a student to go through this sort of thing once, but it is really, really not a good use of their time for them to re-take the entire wad o' math from the term several times in a week if they just want to see if they understood Unit 4 now that they've studied it more. (I could break the test up into multiple smaller tests, but because my classes have a lot of publisher-supplied test banks load times to do anything involving creating new quizzes using questions from a bank are pretty painful.)

Yeah, it'd be nice if the publisher provided better stuff, but it would also be nice if Canvas had the option I used to use in Moodle years ago to let each attempt build on the previous one in this kind of semester review situation. (It would also be nice if Canvas drew without replacement rather than with replacement when choosing a new question from the bank on subsequent attempts, something ELSE Moodle had no problem doing back in the day.)

jason_passey
Community Novice

This or a similar feature can not be that hard to implement.  I had a former colleague who made a quiz engine of her own and it does what I call multi step calculations, that require the answer from one part to be the input for the next.  I offer it as an idea because she made it and it lacks the other bells and whistles canvas provides.  If my idea and this are the same and it is not implemented in quizzes.next I simply wont use quizzes.next it is that big of a game changer.  When using it it feels like your working it out on paper.

stale_heggset
Community Novice

I really follow you on this! And the most important is to be able to carry forward the answers on essay-questions. It is called improvement.

Fra: "jason.passey@slcschools.org<mailto:jason.passey@slcschools.org>" <instructure@jiveon.com<mailto:instructure@jiveon.com>>

Svar til: "jive-1547561158-5hvz-2x-2cuc@mail.instructure.jiveon.com<mailto:jive-1547561158-5hvz-2x-2cuc@mail.instructure.jiveon.com>" <jive-1547561158-5hvz-2x-2cuc@mail.instructure.jiveon.com<mailto:jive-1547561158-5hvz-2x-2cuc@mail.instructure.jiveon.com>>

Dato: torsdag 1. februar 2018 21:11

Til: Ståle Heggset <stale.heggset@globalskolen.no<mailto:stale.heggset@globalskolen.no>>

Emne: Re: - Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

From the Canvas Community <https://community.canvaslms.com/?et=watches.email.idea_comment>

Carry Forward Correct Answers on Quiz Multiple Attempts

new comment by Jason Passey<https://community.canvaslms.com/people/jason.passey@slcschools.org> View all comments on this idea<https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4709-carry-forward-correct-answers-on-quiz-multiple-attempts?commentID=109956#comment-109956>

jnelson5
Community Novice

I can't understand why this hasn't been done yet. If a students retakes a

quiz, he/she needs to focus on the items that are incorrect. Why should we

put the student through the tedium of re-entering correct responses. It

makes NO SENSE!

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:58 PM, stale.heggset@globalskolen.no <

dnoud
Community Participant

We are an Australian RTO and our students need to get all the questions right on our quizzes. Sometimes this might take them 4 or more attempts. Either of the proposed ideas here would be super helpful. We are restricting our use of quizzes because the requested options are not available. 

rachael_adams
Community Novice

I can see where you're coming from, but some organisations are using Canvas with English language students, many of whom are illiterate in their own language. Completing a quiz requires these students to utilise learning, linguistic and digital skills. Students have many opportunities to practice. Asking our students to redo questions they have already achieved in an assignment is not the best use of the student or teacher's time. 

rachael_adams
Community Novice

@JohnNelson I also work with ESL students. It's hard enough to design listening or reading tasks that don't penalise students for incorrect spelling or grammar. I discovered tonight that they weren't penalised for punctuation- what a joy! We have many students that are illiterate in their own language, so just logging into Canvas and navigating the space is a major achievement.

rachael_adams
Community Novice

We're an RTO as well. 

Boekenoogen
Community Contributor

This is a great feature that we use in Qualtrics and it would be great in Canvas.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.