[New Quizzes] Create Item Banks from MSWord

It would be useful that when you create a question [item] bank at the account level being able to upload a huge number of questions once by using a word document. Now, the only way to do this is to create them one by one.

61844_2015-06-17_1019.png2015-06-17_1019.png

Rosalie

170 Comments
albertodomingue
Community Novice

This thread is five years old.  The ability to import questions from Word or Excel or Text or anything other than another LMS is what I would consider the most basic functionality.  Is this ever going to happen?

kimberly_midden
Community Member

It would be very helpful if instructors could import questions from an already made Word, Google Doc, or .pdf file into Canvas quizzes and it would separate it into separate questions and build the quiz. SMART Notebook software would do that and create quizzes to be used with their Clicker response systems so I know it is possible at least for some question types.

pritter
Community Explorer

Canvas desperately needs to implement the ability to import quizzes from word. The work around that exist for this are simply far to complicated and time consuming. 

As a mac user I do not have access to Respondus which has been bantered around. I also simply do not have the time to go through blackboard (another LMS service) to get a file type necessary for this LMS. Not to mention that for each quiz I make, I need to make a separate nearly identical one to accommodate for Special Education/504 needs.

c_woods
Community Explorer

Importing quizzes into Canvas independent of needing to use another LMS is obvious! Why has it not happened?

Community Member

Yes, please add this option.  This is needed for multiple reasons that other users have detailed already.

richard_ireland
Community Participant

Canvas needs to make it so that teacher's can EASILY upload tests (to Quizzes) using a specific format from a .doc or .docx file on their computer. It takes so long to copy and paste tests line by line. BLACKBOARD can do it! The ball is in your court Canvas.

-Instructor

hollysumner
Community Explorer

Echoing many of the comments posted here over the last 5 years. We just migrated to Canvas and have quickly realized how important this tool is for faculty that have developed quizzes using Word documents for over a decade.

carriebucklin
Community Explorer

Why hasn't this happened yet!

susan_oconnell
Community Participant

Canvas, please pay attention to your current users, before they become former users. And please make sure this functionality works for New Quizzes (which I understand you will force upon us soon). Thank you.

kstepp1
Community Member

Many times SMEs and our Curriculum department create test banks on Word docs (if not using publisher provided files) and being able to upload these documents to generate a test bank would be wonderful and very much appreciated.