[New Quizzes] Create Option for Extra Credit Question in Quiz

Users should be able to mark a question to be used for extra credit in a quiz in Canvas.  This question should only provide credit to the student if it is correct.  It should NOT take away from the student's overall score on the quiz if they get it wrong or do not answer it.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

68 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @freddy_angel ​...  I think a lot of what you are requesting is actually in a similar idea that is now open for voting: .  You might want to consider adding your vote to that idea.

jbriggs
Community Member

This would be fantastic as it is a very common use case for teachers. It is important that it can be set at the question level not the entire quiz as many teachers have a bonus question at the end - often to make the quiz more fun (like random triva).

lsweet
Community Novice

This would save me so much time! Right now, I have to go through and manually give students credit for these EC problems, even if Canvas marks it as "Correct."

hduck
Community Novice

I completely agree. I wish there was a box that said Bonus Question to check when adding questions to a quiz. When the box is checked, Canvas wouldn’t factor the point value into the total points for the quiz. So if students got the question correct, it would add the assigned point value at the end, for example 102/100. If the student got it wrong but got everything else correct, the student would still receive a 100 on the quiz.

jamesjr
Community Novice

Although that idea includes the option of designating quiz items as extra credit, it is posed as an alternative suggestion in that thread. Problematically, creating a whole extra credit quiz is a less flexible solution than this one.

I did vote on that initiative, though, and hope to participate in their focus group now that they are exploring how professors use extra credit.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Anyone interested in extra credit should check out the Canvas Focus Group: Extra Credit​ and the other extra credit related ideas that are in the Gathering Info stage:

hvaughn
Community Contributor

This would be a welcome addition!

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I think this is a terrific idea as we look to enhance the quizzing engine. For now, this is not something we will be able to develop and release in the next six months. As we look to an improved quizzing experience, we will consider this for future development. For now, this topic will be archived.

meyer_c
Community Novice

Please add this on the near future to-do list. This would be an REALLY nice addition!

joeso
Community Novice

Switching from Blackboard to Canvas has been a rewarding experience, however lacking this option is similar to lacking a feature. Please add the ability to mark questions across quizzes as extra credit.