[New Quizzes] Create a method for previewing feedback

Problem statement:

I teach mathematics courses and use the Math Editor frequently (MathQuill in new quizzes). I really like being able to type math equations directly in the Rich Content Editor (RCE), but new quizzes are lacking one *very* important feature that the classic quizzes had. The old Math Editor provided a preview below the editor as you were typing in the Latex commands. It also displayed the math print in the RCE editor after the equation was entered. The equations we type can get quite complicated and forgetting a single '{' will break the whole input, so only the Latex gets printed. Currently, the inability to preview the math equations is causing me quite a bit of extra work on the question *Feedback* sections of new quizzes. I use this feature in all of my exams, to provide the students with the correct solutions after their exams have been graded. The math print is displayed in the 'Question' section after saving the question, but when editing the question in the RCE, it reverts back to Latex / MathQuill format. Because we can't preview the Feedback sections, we never get to see the math print format. The only way we can see the Feedback is in the edit functionality -- which only shows the Latex / MathQuill format in the RCE.

Problem: - After typing in an equation, I can't see how it will display in the Feedback RCE. - The Feedback isn't displayed in the Preview option of a quiz. - The Feedback isn't displayed in the Print options for the quiz. - The only way I can see what the Feedback will look like it to take the quiz as the Test Student in Canvas, grade the quiz as the Instructor, and then go back and review the quiz as the Test Student. This causes me to have to change unlock dates for the quiz and change "Restrict student result view" in the Settings for the quiz. And I have to do each change multiple times in order to fix every mistake I make with the Latex commands. I understand that using the MathQuill window (vs typing the Latex directly into the RCE) will display the equation for me. However, MathQuill doesn't support all Latex functions that I can get by typing the Latex into the RCE. (One example is the 'hat' functionality. It's used a *lot* in Statistics, Physics, Quantum Mechanics, etc.) 

Proposed solution:

My requested (ideal) solution would be to provide a way to preview the Feedback sections of a new quiz when using the instructor 'Preview' function. The classic quizzes provide this functionality. After submitting a quiz in Preview mode, classic quizzes display the correct answers and all available feedback comments. However, I understand that sometime in the near future, we won't be able to use classic quizzes anymore. Thx for your consideration, Sandra

User role(s):

instructor

Added to Theme

4 Comments
ssnyder2
Community Member
Author

Sorry for that one long paragraph -- my formatting didn't flow through to the post!

TamasBalogh
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

Hi Sandra,

I'm not sure if I understand the problem correctly. If you take a preview of the quiz, fill out and then hit submit, you can see the preview of the feedback provided, just as in Classic Quiz.

Also let me share that the Canvas RCE is coming to New Quizzes on June 17th. It is already available in beta. You can use the RCE Equation Editor to preview your equation. Let me know if this helps.

ssnyder2
Community Member
Author

Yes, in Instructor Preview, I can see the Feedback for the questions that have already been graded.  But for questions that require manual grading (marked as "Waiting for grade"), the Feedback is not displayed.

And, yes, I believe that the Canvas RCE availability in new quizzes will solve my problem!

Thx for getting back to me,
Sandra

TamasBalogh
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Added to Theme

Thank you for the details Sandra, I'm glad RCE will solve your problem. 
I've added this idea to a theme now.