New Quizzes - Hide Access Code

This idea is completed and has been deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-01-15).

This idea has already been entered and just went into cold storage recently but I thought I'd revive it as this feature prevents us from moving to Quizzes.Next with any course that has proctored exams.

• In Quizzes (classic), a proctor can enter a password/access code for a student and the student cannot see it.
  • In Quizzes.Next, this functionality has changed so the Access Code is viewable, there is no encryption or hiding of the text.  This results in some institutions not being able to us Quizzes.Next to proctor exams as there is not a way to ensure academic integrity.  We utilize proctors in in our online across all states and many countries with multiple proctors and students taking exams at multiple times/on multiple days.  So an access code is not effective if a student can view it and then share it with others.

Here's probably a better explanation of why it may be important from the last feature request - https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/12573?sr=search&searchId=60fd93ac-5c28-422d-a97f-264494535fd1&... 

I didn't see it in the priority list that I remember or in any mention of future developments.

Melanie

13 Comments
James
Community Champion

Does anyone have a compelling reason why this should not be type="password" instead of type="text" ?

I like to know both sides of the issue, but I'm having a hard time of thinking why it should be displayed.

kroeninm
Community Champion

I really appreciate other use cases as well, it helps make clear the impacts of a change. 

The only thing I could think of is I can see where it might be valuable in the classroom setting (i.e. K-12) where you were going to give a quiz and were having everyone in the same room at one time.  Then you just provide the password and they could more easily type it in themselves and the clear text would prevent typos.

Melanie

timothy_maw
Community Champion

Here is another reason why we have yet to move to quizzes.next, too many things that do not function as we need. It is hard to believe this is one they changed from legacy quizzes.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Agreed!

jbeyer1
Community Participant

When we use ProctorU for proctoring of online students, they see the password.  Since students take the online exams asynchronously, students could just share the password and take the exam without a proctor.  Here is hoping this idea goes viral! 

jwadec
Community Contributor

We use Examity. Until this field is treated like a password, we will have security concerns. 

dtod
Community Contributor

Our scenario is a testing center where the password is provided to the proctor who types it in and needs the student to not see it.

This is a deal-breaker for us.

James
Community Champion

The Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-01-15) indicates that student access codes will be masked by default.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-01-15) .

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Comments from Instructure

This idea has been completed and has been deployed to Canvas. For more information, please read through the Canvas Deploy Notes (2020-01-15)