[New Quizzes] Label an Image Question type

Hot Spot is a great question type if you want students to identify a SINGLE point on an image. It would be great if there was an Question Type that allowed you to label an image. It could operate like a multiple fill in the blank question, but instead of having a sentence with blanks to fill in, the question would allow you to upload and image and create multiple blanks to fill in right on top of the image.

An example of how it could work: 

• Uploaded an image
  • Select different areas of the image to create a "fill in the blank" type entry right on top of the image
  • Have a dropdown or word bank option (similar to fill in the blank question type) for students to select from for each labeled area

For example, a teacher could upload a map, create answer spots for various locations, and then students would drag and drop the labels from a word bank to each location on the map. Or students would click on each location on the map to get a dropdown box to select from for the correct label.

Added to Theme

14 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@CarlaD07 

Thanks for sharing this idea. While we know this idea isn't identical to what you've requested, we think your feedback would fit well into the comments section New Quizzes: Multiple Hot Spot. Would you evaluate that conversation to see if you agree?

CarlaD07
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired  Thank you for sharing the other idea conversation. It sounds as if the Multiple Hot Spots would allow teachers to provide a single prompt, such as "Click on all nouns in this passage", and then students would be required to click on multiple locations on the image in order for it to be counted correct. Sort of like a multiple answer question type versus a multiple choice question type. If my interpretation is correct, then I think it would also be helpful to have a label image question type so students could be provided with multiple prompts to label an uploaded image.  For example, if you could upload an image of the digestive system and then ask students to drag and drop labels to the image in order to label each part of the system. 

If a Multiple Hot Spot question type would allow for a teacher to connect different Hot Spots on an image to different Hot Spots, then I think this would operate how I envision.  Right now this can be done by duplicating the image and changing the Hot Spot. Label an Image would allow you to put all the information into a single question to make it easier for teachers and students. For example, instead of having 12 different Hot Spot questions asking students to click on each part of the digestive system (liver, gallbladder, pancreas, ect.) the teacher could use a single Label the Image question to have student drag and drop the labels for each part of the digestive system on to the image provided. This would give students a clearer picture of the Digestive System as a whole versus having them identify everything separately. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CarlaD07 Thanks for that comprehensive explanation that will help members differentiate between the two conversations. We've moved yours forward for further discussion.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

BoBermudez
Community Member

We NEED this!! Allowing the addition of images is a strategy that help so many ELL & SpEd students

Community Explorer

Yes, please!

RichardKinsey
Community Explorer

Yes, label an image should be an option. Schoology has had for at least 5 years.

ivyjl
Community Explorer

Yes, I would love to have students be able to label multiple things in an image. I would request that creators be allowed choose whether to use drop-downs or fill-in-the blanks for the labels.

BrendaRoesch
Community Member

Please make this happen. I used label an image in Schoology all of the time in my Earth Science courses in Schoology.  This is something that we teachers could really use!

komosinskira
Community Explorer

I really need this to be a question type. I'm spending ages editing images of organism structures and phylogenetic trees. I have to create labels on the image and then make a statement that they can do fill in the blank with that matches to the image. But it is just soooo clunky. And I've had multiple students now ignore the image and try to answer with only the text statement (which is really not ideal...). Having the ability to select parts of the image and create blanks for drag and drop would be much more straightforward for my students - and would save a ton of time for me. Especially when I want to quickly make sure they have terms down. And I would imagine that it's harder for them to search for the answers in Chegg etc. on a question like this (battling the stupid online cheating websites is the worst - and don't try to tell me they are study sites).