New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
ronmarx
Community Contributor

I heard something yesterday from a visiting Instructure manager that gives me hope that the newly regrouped quizzes.next‌ development team is reading these threads, and feature parity with the current quiz‌zes is becoming their new mantra. That's the way, as you know, product upgrades are supposed to proceed: adding to the existing function/feature set, not removing useful ones to make room for so-called improved ones. Maybe we'll see a major unveiling around the time of this year's instructurecon 2019‌?

For the time being, most of our Instructional Technology Facilitators are not training teachers to use Quizzes.Next‌, but continuing their Assessments training using the current Canvas quizzes.

timothy_maw
Community Champion

I actually was in an face to face meeting at Instructure (one of the benefits of being in Utah is we can meet face to face easier) several months ago where we were told that all of the features of legacy quizzes would eventually be added to #quizz.next‌. I hope this is true but it has been quite slow to materialize.

jordanburns
Community Member

We have had to go back to doing paper worksheets because of the Quizzes.Next not allowing partial credit on matching. Gives them zero instead of a 50% on a 30 question matching section not good.  Needs to be corrected ASAP. Should be an easy fix. #Quizzes.Next

ccalhoun1
Community Novice

The slow response to this obviously important feature is very frustrating. Whether you need all/nothing or partial points, the choice should lie with the instructor. Many institutions are saying they are considering going with another LMS based on the lack of this feature in Quizzes.Next alone. 

jhough
Community Participant

Agree with this idea! Would be nice to not have to make separate questions for ones that are really the same thing.

glee4
Community Member

Because of this lack of a feature on basic grading aspect of tests, it makes it easier and faster to use paper based testing. Every matching question needs to be regraded! 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Still waiting for this feature to be added. Not a new feature as mentioned but one already in the old quizzes. Where is the Prioritization exercise or timeline to bring quizzes.next to parity with existing quizzes?

jennifer_muir
Community Novice

Using the new quiz feature will make absolutely no sense until you can give partial credit for categories like Matching and Categorization.  Why would I use this feature and then have to go back in to Speed Grader and change all of their grades?  That is so time consuming and frustrating! Please make this change a priority so I can utilize all the other great features of the Quizzes.next on Canvas.  This should have been fixed a long time ago.  It should have been obvious to begin with. Thank you. 

richard_gardner
Community Participant

Our institution adopted Canvas a year ago. I was really excited to learn about quizzes.next, which I did on a webinar. Then I found out that it is all or nothing. That was a deal breaker. So many others have had the same experience, and said so via these forums. But here we are, a year later (actually longer for folks who’ve had Canvas before I did) and not yet fixed. I can’t imagine it would be that hard to fix. But the same goes for other Canvas tools, such as attendance. Obvious defects that go for years without fixing. Makes me wonder if Canvas is in some kind of financial trouble so that they can’t hire programmers anymore.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion