New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In new quizzes, there needs to be the ability to award partial credit for matching questions. At the current moment, it is either all or nothing. I know you can "fudge" points at the end, but we need the ability to make each matching item worth points. 

337 Comments
GideonWilliams
Community Champion
elizabeth_jetto
Community Explorer

I am so frustrated that this has still not been FIXED. This should be treated as an ERROR with quizzes.next, not a feature that needs to be implemented. I am still using the old quiz creator because it does not have this PROBLEM. Please please please fix this. If you want people to use this, you need to fix this. The first thing I go over with my teachers each year is DON'T USE QUIZZES.NEXT because there are too many problems. (And fix grading essay questions as zero by default! Another problem that the old quiz program doesn't have).

elizabeth_jetto
Community Explorer

Even CANVAS has this feature, just in their old quiz program.....It's ridiculous that it's not in the "better" quiz program.

arnold_cassie
Community Participant

There needs to be partial credit awarded for multiple select questions and the categorization questions.  

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

I wonder if the issue is the fact that questions saved to the Item Bank automatically default to 1 mark answers. That said, there is no real excuse as it is a Parity issue not a new feature!

kyleesharp
Community Novice

How is partial credit not a STANDARD option? Blackboard has a simple checkbox to allow partial credit.  Please create this for Canvas.

german
Community Explorer

I agree this is insane: all or nothing scoring when a student gets 11 out of 12 matching correct is simply demoralizing and not standard in any quiz program I've EVER seen.  I was just starting to build a new course for next year and was excited to start using quizzes.next -- built my first matching question and previewed -- and NOPE, not going to happen now.  I'm stuck with regular old quizzes due to this MAJOR issue.  I can't believe it hasn't been fixed yet!

richard_gardner
Community Participant

Ditto. I was also excited about quizzes next a year ago when our

institution adopted Canvas. But this lack of partial credit is

jaw-droppingly insane, and a total deal breaker. I'm not a computer

programmer, but I can't imagine this is all that hard to fix. So if this

and the attendance tool aren't priorities, then what are Canvas'

priorities?

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019, 10:10 PM german@nthuleen.com <instructure@jiveon.com>

sarah_whipple
Community Explorer

How is this still not fixed? How can there be a check mark saying there is parity between quiz.next and the quiz feature when something this major is still an issue? Having to individually grade every single matching question to award partial credit is NOT parity. https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12115-new-quizzes-feature-comparison 

I'm starting a new school year and still using the old quizzes form. This is completely unacceptable.

moliphant
Community Member

I agree with all the other comments...the fact that the "New Quizzes" can't do this simple task will likely force myself and my colleagues to go back to the old quiz engine (or another platform all together).  😞