[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
RobDitto
Community Champion

I voted for this since I'm in favor of partial credit options for Quizzes.Next generally.  @pete0708 , consider also voting on this pre-existing idea for Matching:

mwroberts1
Community Member

I'm in favor of adding the option of partial credit so long as the all or nothing option doesn't go away.

ronmarx
Community Contributor

Agreed. Adding features and functionality to Canvas shouldn't result in other features being taken away.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Have added the link to Feature No.1 my blog post - 16 Features I wish were in Quizzes.next

jbeyer1
Community Participant

I guess I don't understand why this had to be a feature request.  When migrating from one system to the next, it's it standard practice to keep the same functionality in?  This actually drives me a little bezonkers when Canvas states that you have to put in a feature request for basic functionality in the Canvas LMS. It's a little like make "opt-in" the default and then telling your customers that they have the option to opt-out at any time but that is one of the best kept secrets. 

kroeninm
Community Champion

Yes, this is my biggest concern.  I see the pros and cons of all/nothing grading and perhaps more instructors use these questions in this way but when migrating existing instructors from Matching in "classic"quizzes and Matching in Quizzes.Next it's very confusing for them to switch grading schemes given it's the same type of question...it's not intuitive and will require the redesign of questions as instructors design to fit the current model.  i.e. typically instructors have used one matching question in a quiz/exam instead of breaking it up into smaller ones which they will want to do with a different grading scheme.

Melanie

rbailey2
Community Novice

I first tried Quizzes.next a year ago.  I liked the creation tool and was excited to see how it went.  I created a map test.  As soon as the first class period tried it, it became apparent that something was wrong with the scores.  I discovered that there's no partial credit and had to grade them myself.  Yay, extra work!

I can't believe I'm back a year later and it's still not fixed.  Why was this EVER the standard anyway?  So, what do I do?  Create quizzes that will eventually become obsolete? 

hallale
Community Member

I have been so frustrated that there is no partial credit.  For a categorization question that was worth multiple points as it had over 10 items, students getting no points for one wrong selection is a mess, and I have to go in manually to adjust them.  We just switched from D2L to Canvas, and D2L had a much more robust grading scheme option - for multi-select questions, for example, you could choose scoring to be all-or-none, partial credit for correct responses, or credit based on #right - #wrong answers.    

smorgan7
Community Novice

So this idea was created in October of 2018 and it has 204 votes for it and 0 against it.  How long will it take Canvas to adjust this?    I just used the matching for the first time and if a student got 5/5 terms correct, she scored 5.  Good.  If she got 4/5 she was awarded 0 points.  No teacher would support this.  As a Social Studies teacher, the only reason I could think of to use this system would be to illustrate how ridiculous the Electoral College is with its winner take all system.  Canvas, you need to deal with this!!!!!!!!!!

jbeyer1
Community Participant

Was there ever a focus group who advised about the different features needed when this system was designed? Just curious.