[New Quizzes] Partial Credit for "Matching", "Categorization", and "Sorting" question types in Quizzes.Next tool

Comments from Instructure

The  Canvas Release Notes (2022-01-15) includes partial credit options for matching questions in New Quizzes. Please refer to  New Quizzes: Partial Credit for Matching Questions .

The Quizzes.Next assignment questions type "Categorization", "Matching", and "Sorting" currently don't allow for partial credit to be given.  In order to pacify my students and to give credit were credit is due I'm currently manually adjusting the scores on these questions. Very tedious!

Thus, I would appreciate if the Canvas team would add the option for partial credit to added to these three assignment question types.

E.G.:
if a question has 2 categories and a total of 10 points, a student that would answers one of the two categories correctly would get 5 points.
if a "Sorting" question has 5 sort items and 10 points overall, a student that sorts 3 out of the 5 items correctly would receive 6 points (3/5*10)

if a "Matching" question has 3 items and 10 points overall, a student that would get 2 out of the 3 items matched correctly would receive 6.67 points (2/3 * 10)

PS: this link brings you to the Canvas FAQ page that documents the current status of this issue:
https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12076#jive_content_id_Is_there_partial_points_grading_for_i... 

Added to Theme

Build dynamic question types Theme Status: Identified

201 Comments
tpurdy
Community Explorer

Classic quizzes allowed partial credit if I'm not mistaken. Why not allow us to decide, either at the account level or at the question level to select either "partial" or "full'? 

MrsJBrice
Community Member

Why is it that almost two and a half years after the original request for this feature that it isn't in place?  I am new to Canvas this school year and teach a class that would rely heavily on the ordering type question in "New quizzes", IF I didn't have to manually adjust the points in the question.

How much longer do we have to wait for this when similar function is available in other question types??

rgong1
Community Participant

Please please implement this! I was about to transition all my quizzes over, but because of lack of partial credit and no RCE for these questions. I'm going to stick with the old quizzes. There is no way I'm manually adjusting all my students scores to give them partial credit. 

jurry
Community Explorer

+1

jfb42
Community Explorer

Why is there never any official response to these old, simple, highly-requested features? It really feels like screaming into the wind

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

The product manager responsible for New Quizzes has been actively engaging with community members in this forum for several months now, and we encourage people to read through Susan Sorensen's recent blog posts. The most recent one is Priority Gathering for the New Quizzes Roadmap 

EMoon
Community Novice

Please add partial credit!

ian_pifer
Community Member

Add this feature, please!

ddamschen
Community Participant

Thanks @Stef_retired!

I just read through Susan Sorensen's most recent blog posts (12/18/2020) on New Quizzes. I also took the poll and made sure that partial credit was in my top 3 priorities. 

skiser
Community Member

The new quiz format in Canvas needs to be changed to allow for partial credit like it did in the Classic quiz format.  Having the ability to construct a matching question  can reduce the number of questions in the quiz if you want to keep it short.  Having the ability to let kids practice with a multiple answer question is good too but why penalize them so harshly on the assessment.   That can really negatively impact their grade.   The idea of going into each quiz and adjusting the point manually is absurd in this world of technology and  where Canvas has already figured out this tool.  Please don't give me a tool and then take it away from me!!!