[New Quizzes] adaptive learning - quiz branching

It would be excellent if the quiz tool enabled branching for adaptive learning. If quizzes were embedded into content then potentially students could be directed to a particular piece of content based on their response to a question.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

Added to Theme

Expand options for quiz formats Theme Status: Identified

34 Comments
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hey  @christopher_bar ​,

Thank you for also adding this request to Modern Quizzing Engine.

I don't think quiz branching has been voted on in the feature ideas process and I don't see it identified as of yet as a goal of the upcoming modern quizzing engine project so I will add your submission to the queue for the next round of voting.

erotella
Community Novice

I would highly support this enhancement.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. January 6, 2016 - Wed. April 6, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

krissywilson
Community Member

I would love to see this become a quiz option! In regards to quizzing improvements, you might also check out Two (Multiple) Part Quiz Questions.

dbeck
Community Novice

I had a similar idea, but rather than tying the direction to an individual question, I was hoping to tie to the outcome of the quiz as a whole.  My thoughts are below:

In looking to differentiate my 4th grade class I would like to be able to tie Prerequisites to specific Items in a Module rather than to the Module as a whole.   More specifically, it would be nice to see a feature similar to 'Score at Least,' and instead have an additional option to choose like 'Score Equal To.'  I envision being able to use this feature to help differentiate my class for my students.  I know that you can currently duplicate Module Items as checkpoints (How do I use duplicate Module items as checkpoints in my course?) but this only appears to help with remediation and differentiating for one group of students.  I have three different groups based on the outcome of the pretest (up to 3 questions given as an exit slip the day before).  I'd like the outcome of the pretest to open up a specific corresponding Module for the student.  I also know that I can differentiate by assigning Groups, but with my groups changing every day, this would hinder the ability for the student to work at their own pace.  In hopes to more clearly illustrate my point I have an outline below as to how I am picturing the 'flow' of the course:

Module 1 - Lesson 1-1

-Quiz: Pretest (2 Questions at 1pt each)

Module 2 - Lesson 1-1 A (Prerequisite: 'Score Equal To'- 0 on 'Quiz: Pretest' [From Module 1])

Module 3 - Lesson 1-1 B (Prerequisite: 'Score Equal To'- 1 on 'Quiz: Pretest' [From Module 1])

Module 4 - Lesson 1-1 C (Prerequisite: 'Score Equal To'- 2 on 'Quiz: Pretest' [From Module 1])

Module 5 - Lesson 1-2 (Prerequisite: Complete Module 2, 3, or 4 [This is currently possible, but wanted to show my structure])

I'm sorry if I was too detailed, but I wanted to do my best to be as clear as possible.

Thanks!

lauramaewojo
Community Participant

This would be huge.  I know teachers in my district would love to see this feature!

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Good afternoon Canvas Family,

Thank you for this great feature suggestion.  This is a great and very sophisticated process often used by high stakes examination processes such as the NAPLEX, NCLEX, and USMLE. While we will not likely develop a logic based assessment engine, we will likely implement foundational support for Item Response Theory, which is often employed by the GRE and similar exams.  While not specifically branching logic, this is where we will being the process and look to expand over time. For example:: Question 3 is set to difficulty 0. If the test candidate selected the correct answer, the next question randomly selected from the bank will increase in difficulty to +1, conversely, if the test candidate selected the incorrect answer, the next question randomly selected from the bank will decrease in difficulty to -1.

Response-based branching "if; then" logic for a test item is not a part of our inital roadmap for the Modern Quizzing Engine, but  may be something we consider in long-term development.

In the mean time, please continue to share how you would employ response-based logic or item response theory in your courses.

Kind regards,

Jason

dbeck
Community Novice

How about the option to make Prerequisites more specific, like linking it to a task from a previous Module, rather than a Module as a whole?

dbeck
Community Novice

In reference to my reply above:

For example, would it be possible to have the Prerequisite be tied to the completion of a quiz from a previous module.  In which case I could use my two question exit slips as two separate quizzes and therefore set the Prerequisite to one Module to be the successful completion of both quizzes, another Module be set to the successful completion of one quiz (hopefully being able to allow either quiz to qualify them), and a third Module set to open after the quizzes are attempted, but not successfully completed.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This is functionality that would not be specific to the testing engine. I would invite my colleague, mattg, to comment on any specific core/administrative features related to the conditional or adaptive release of content.

Jason