No new browser tab on To-Do items!

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Deploy Notes (2021-12-15)

Do not open a new browser tab each time I click on an item to grade from the to do list.  It gets very confusing and overloads and slows down my computer as I work.  Then I'm constantly having to close tabs all the time. 

40 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

StephenFrancis
Community Member

I realize some people, when the click on a speedgrader assignment, may want it to open a new window, but for those who don't, it would be nice in settings to allow us to choose what we want to have happen.

bbkunkel
Community Member

Hello,

I appreciate everyone's hard work constantly updating/adding features in Canvas. However, Canvas needs to realize every teacher has different needs. Like differentiating in our classrooms to meet each of our student's needs, Canvas should be open to our ideas since we pay good money for your platform. 

For 11 years I have requested an option for new posts in discussions like new assignment submissions. This never happened even though many teachers agreed. At least have a setting for teachers to choose either way. It takes a long time to scroll through hundreds of students just to see if they resubmitted another post to receive a better grade. 

Last night I was grading and noticed I had 20+ tabs opened. I realized new tabs were opening for every new assignment I clicked on to grade. This is very cumbersome. This Causes accidental closures to windows I did want. When you get to the original window, you have to refresh to see what assignments were graded. Please give options for users to make it custom to each of our needs. Times are hard now. Many of us have 300+ kids. We should be stressing/wasting time on 'features'. I spent over an hour with someone in chat last night and over 2 hrs with someone today. No one could help. 😞

Thank you!

patricia_lipsey
Community Participant

I am sure there was a reason for this change but it has certainly made my life more difficult.  Is it possible to turn this feature off.  I have 4 sections so when I grade if a new tab opens with each assignment my tabs become unmanageable unless I close the tab each time.  Even closing the tab, I have to go back to the original tab and refresh to clear the assignment that I just graded.  This new feature has added considerable time to my already heavy grading load.  Please make this an optional feature.

ClaireDriscoll
Community Novice

I agree with you, Pat.  This new feature has added considerable time to my grading and it's quite confusing with all of the extra open tabs.  Please make this feature optional!

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

Hi @bbkunkel,

Thanks for sharing your perspective. Like you said, this was a recent change; added in Canvas as part of the Sept 15 deploy. I've opened this idea for conversation. 

ValerieCichy
Community Member

Please un-do the update that forces opening in a new tab every time I click to grade something under the to-do list. This makes things even more bulky & cumbersome. If anything, could this be an option that people choose to either open automatically in a new tab or always open in current tab. This is just creating so much extra work for me. 

bbkunkel
Community Member

Thank you Pat and Claire for sharing. It IS exhausting. I have 300 students. Can you imagine the number of assignments that are submitted daily? What is also disheartening is that I spent almost 4 hours with Canvas chat about this over 2 days and they did not even know about this new feature? They blamed Chrome for this and had me reinstall chrome and change all of my settings.

I wish Canvas was empathetic to individual teacher's/user's needs. For ALL NEW Features, there needs to be a Beta version that is able to be turned OFF by users. It should not be hard with technology today. One size does not fit all. 

Thank you!

tammi_brandon
Community Explorer

We are experiencing the same thing as mentioned - every time an instructor opens something on the To-Do List, a new tab is open. This is incredibly cumbersome for our team. We have hundreds of students enrolling every 2 weeks, so you can imagine the number of assignments that are turned in daily. Opening new tabs is frustrating my instructor team Please, please turn this feature off or make it optional.

While we all appreciate the updates the Canvas team makes, please be sure to beta test with users, poll users, or allow us to customize things to suite our needs.

michelle_anding
Community Member

When I click on the assignment to grade it from the Home page, the speed grader is now opening in a new tab. After I grade the assignment, I click back on my course name at the top. This now has 2 tabs open. As I repeat the process I get more and more tabs open that are not needed. Please turn this off.