[Notifications] Use Subject Line from Inbox Messages in Email Notifications

Problem statement:

E-mail notifications of Inbox messages sent to students via Canvas do not show the subject line from Canvas in the subject line of the e-mail notification. The only text that shows is a reference to the instructor and course. This makes it harder for students to identify e-mails that apply to them. Example: I sent an e-mail to 9 students via Canvas Inbox alerting them to study for an upcoming makeup quiz. The subject line in Canvas is "Heads Up: Session 12 Makeup Quiz on Strategy." The subject line that I see in my faculty e-mail (Microsoft 365 Outlook) shows only a bland "Eric M Benshetler (IB 303/BA 364Y Fall 2023: International Business), you just sent a message in Canvas." The actual subject and e-mail isn't visible until I open the e-mail in Outlook.

Proposed solution:

Replicate the subject line text from Canvas Inbox to the e-mail notification subject line. Do not include the course information in the notification text (as is currently the case) since students can easily tell from the Canvas-generated signature which faculty member sent it. Or, if the course name might be useful, add it to the top of bottom of the e-mail notification.

User role(s):

instructor

1 Comment
SamGarza1
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Added to Theme