[Notifications] notifications@instructure.com needs to include course information in the subject

I am a college student. It is currently impossible to configure email rules to handle the wide variety of email being sent from Canvas (such as notifications@instructure.com).

Email rules do not permit filtering based on sender NAME. And because sender ADDRESS is the same, we have to look at subject, body, headers, and other criteria to try and filter these. If sender is not going to be unique to a course, then subjects must prefix (or otherwise) include the course information in the subject for all messages, ex: Subject: [DS Student Resources Lounge] <rest of subject>

Attached is an image of mail all of which is from notifications@instructure.com, you can see several different names being used. Two are for "courses" in Canvas. Others are activity based on "grading", communication with a professor, etc...

As it currently stands, it is a massive time waster sifting through these. I can't imagine what it is like with anyone taking more courses.

6 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

EMAN1
Community Novice

I agree that the email notifications can be improved on Canvas. With multiple courses, the ability to filter what emails get sent where and under what subject would be very useful 🙂

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme

ingela_ostlund
Community Participant
Problem statement:

The problem is When I get a summary of what has happened in the courses in which you are active in Canvas, it is not clear which course or note originates from. When you are involved in many courses, it would be good if it was made clear.

Proposed solution:

Add course name for each event in the summary so you can see which course applies to the event

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,ta

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Seeking Clarity

hi @ingela_ostlund -

Thank you for sharing your idea with the Instructure Community! I did a quick search, and I found this related idea:

[Notifications] notifications@instructure.com needs to include course information in the subject 

It could be a possible solution, and it's already aligned with a Theme. If you're seeking something a little different, where would you like to see the course information presented in the email notification?