[Permissions] Additional Avatar Permissions by Account Role

Problem statement:

We are currently in the process of coming up with a solution to update the Canvas avatars of students based on their SIS profile picture in Synergy. We have been able to come up with a script to move the photos over, however, in order for the script to work User Avatars have to be enabled within the settings. The issue is that when this is done it causes an issue where students are then able to update their profile avatars which is something we do not want them to have the ability to do. It has been brought to our attention that there is a JC/CSS that can hide the student's ability to change the avatar, however, this is only for the web version and does not work in the mobile app which still leaves the ability for students to update the photos potentially. Another suggestion was to run the script nightly to catch any avatars that had been changed, however, we cannot run nightly due to our division size. Rerunning the RESTful service job is about a 20-hour task to update 60,000+ avatars daily. The easiest solution would be for the Canvas developers to add an Update Avatar permission so when Update Avatar is enabled you are given further options to enable/disable by account role. This would allow us to run our script to update from the SIS at the division admin level while still ensuring students' security of the avatar upload settings. I feel as though this would be beneficial to other K12 divisions as well.

Proposed solution:

The easiest solution would be for the Canvas developers to add an Update Avatar permission so when Update Avatar is enabled you are given further options to enable/disable by account role. This would allow us to run our script to update from the SIS at the division admin level while still ensuring students' avatar upload settings' security. I feel as though this would be beneficial to other K12 divisions as well.

User role(s):

admin,instructor,student,observer

1 Comment
jozsefdavid
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi @jlblake,

Canvas mobile apps do not support running custom scripts and CSS is also limited to dedicated content only. The solution I see at the moment is a new setting which disables the possibility of changing the avatar pic by the students. That should be done at the Canvas level and mobile apps could follow the settings.