[Rich Content Editor] Add Canvas Studio button to new RCE Toolbar

The Canvas Training Portal advertises that there should be a Canvas Studio button on the RCE toolbar, with the standard Canvas Studio icon, but the button is not present on the new RCE toolbar.  Instead, you must click the "apps" button and the locate Studio from a list.  Since Studio is deeply integrated with Canvas, it would be ideal to show the Studio button as a standalone on the new RCE toolbar.

7 Comments
chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jfountain ,

I believe Canvas Studio, while made by Instructure, is actually an LTI integration within Canvas.  With that said, a Canvas admin can follow the How do I add an external tool to the Rich Content Editor toolbar in an account guide to add the Canvas Studio icon to the main RCE toolbar (assuming there aren't more than two tools already chosen to be there).

-Chris

jfountain
Community Participant

Thank you, unfortunately that slider is not available next to Canvas Studio in App Configurations. It says N/A. That would be a perfect solution if it were!

chriscas
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi @jfountain ,

As I mentioned, I'm not super familiar with Studio, but if uses LTI 1.3 to connect to Canvas, you might be running into the same bug/limitation that I discovered a few months ago while working with a different video vendor (Kaltura).   Are you a Canvas admin, and if so, do you happen to know the details about the Studio LTI?  If you could at least click the settings gear to see what menu options you get there it might be useful in troubleshooting further here.  I'll attach a couple screenshots here showing a LTI 1.1 settings menu vs an LTI 1.3 one.  If this is the same issue I found with LTI 1.3, there is a workaround, but it can get a bit complex.  I actually had to go back and forth with Canvas support a few times (and get our CSM involved) before they acknowledged the bug.

LTI 1.1: Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 10.12.13 PM.png  

LTI 1.3: Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 10.12.31 PM.png

This might be something to bring up with your Canvas CSM or Canvas support (though you might end up in a situation like me where the support agents aren't super familiar with how this feature is supposed to work).  I'm happy to do a bit more work with you here as well though, since I do have a bit of experience in this area.

-Chris

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

jschreier
Community Participant

Hi folks. We are Canvas Studio school. Studio needs to be in the RCE. Currently, it is virtually hidden under the "plug" icon. Ideally, Canvas engineers can add Studio as a standalone button. 

Another solution, which I have not tried, is to remove all the LTIs that show up under Plug icon in the RCE. That may get Studio to the top of the list, but I don't think it would get it in the RCE as it's own icon. 

As a Studio school, we would definitely like Studio as an icon in the RCE. : - ) 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme