[Rubrics] Create a student-accessible rubric for self-assessments

Our nursing and OTA staff are using self-assessments to help students evaluate their confidence in the skills they are learning for certification. The idea is that they can take this assessment and choose if they want to share it, see what things they need to brush up on and reflect on their experiences. Currently they are doing this on paper but as we go to more online course work, they would like to integrate this as an online activity within a course.

The peer review rubric as it is set up now would work, but we also like the model of the tests you take on social media that tell you that you're 90% geek!

Added to Theme

139 Comments
sean_flaherty
Community Participant

I would really like to see a self-assessment option using rubrics available in Canvas, as well.  As tamaroffjeff‌ indicated, the value of self-assessment is well documented in educational research and for educators who are interested (or are encouraged/required by their institutions to do so), it would be nice to have this implemented within the LMS we are required to use.

Trying to make a workaround, I tried to manually assign a student to complete a peer review on themselves but that is disabled within Canvas.  I suppose that makes sense for anytime I ask Canvas to automatically assign peer reviews, that would be one time I am not looking for student self-assessment.  However, if an additional option for "require self-review" were to be included, I suspect the overall code would be nearly identical to the "automatically assign peer reviews" option but would select the student submitting the assignment instead of ruling them out. 

Assigning both self-review and peer-review might lead to some interesting and instructive discussions to help students identify when there is a mismatch between what they believe they are communicating and what the reader perceives is actually being communicated.

This isn't the first time I've thought an option was pretty much a no-brainer and wouldn't require much additional coding but doesn't seem at all that the Canvas folks are interested in implementing it.

@reedbrian ‌

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Makes so much good sense! Was at a talk today where there was even a suggestion that students could create their own rubrics to self assess! How radical is that :O)

maciej_buras
Community Novice

In the Apprenticeship Industry, Self-Assessment is a big part of the learning. We are currently doing it via a quiz but it's a massive pain being able to track and compare previous results. I understand that the majority of Canvas users are Schools and Universities but I think being diverse is good! On Behalf of Apprenticeship Providers - Please make this happen! It will make our lives so much easier and it will attract a lot more customers! 

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

If we had this assessment available for BTECs it would be brilliant! 

• Peer
  • Self
  • Teacher

With opportunities for reflection and improvement...

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

That would be extremely valuable! Just think of the conversation starters with the various feedback "perspectives". Smiley Happy

afrench
Community Novice

Rubrics are a very valuable tool but students don't access them the  way the should.  Having this available would allow me to include it as part of the grade and force them to review the criteria against their work.

daniel_davis
Community Novice

Performing Arts teachers would benefit greatly from this feature as it allows students to monitor their own growth in their performances. It could honestly just be built as an option in existing Peer Reviews function to assign to the submitting student instead of his/her/their peers.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Hugely disappointed that this has not been considered. Self reflection has a massive impact on teaching and learning and represents another move towards assessment for learning, rather than just a summative measurement of student performance.

Google anything about self reflection (and add in John Hattie for good measure if you want measurables) to see just how much impact this has. Here is a nice blog post summarising - http://ajjuliani.com/reflection/

Technically possible in other platforms such as Moodle and Blackboard. Shame that Canvas couldn't help Great Education happen for this instance and still we wait for the third side of the assessment triangle

Image result for hattie self reflection

https://leocontent.acu.edu.au/file/ccbe60fc-4a3c-4a2c-a80e-286a4946a9f3/1/html/ote_5_50.html 

michael_barbour
Community Participant

It seems there are several basic functionality items that Moodle, Blackboard, D2L, and others have that doesn't seem like it should take that much to add, that Canvas just refuses to incorporate.  This one is a good example, so are https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4700 and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1117-anonymous-discussion-forums - both of which got similar messages today about not being developed.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

I don't know enough about the tech limitations and that is the real frustration. If it is not possible with the platform then let people know! It is also disappointing that so many idea linked to developing better Ed than Tech do not seem to be getting enough support/development/recognition.